Cheap Turbo setup?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Jacbs2007

Cheap Turbo setup?

Post by Jacbs2007 »

My car's exterior is starting to come together, and now I'm in the market for a Turbo setup...I would just like something simple and cheap for now. Something I can learn on. I've heard of people turboing their cars for 300 dollars. I have limited mechanical skills and I've done a little bit of research and if I'm correct, we can Boost our engines to 5psi without changing the fuel management or VAFM at all? Would anyone object with Buying intercooler+piping off ebay? The only thing I can see costing alot of money is the Hotpipes and turbo+bov.

Thanks,
-Curt-
1993 GS
-MS front -functional molded hood scoop
-MS molded sides-shaved antenna
-Civic projectors -New black paintjob
Bucking Bronco

Post by Bucking Bronco »

You dont need an intercooler and extra piping @ 5 psi.
And if you did a log mani and used a used turbo with used parts if your really lucky you might walk away @ $300. but I dont think any less than $500....
Then again I'v been playing golf & drinkin all afternoon :D
Addicted to the Speed
92 MX-3 GS K8 - CAI
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

You know what they say to those who want to go cheap...

DO IT ONCE, DO IT RIGHT! You know once you get that 5psi tuned and running hard that you will want more.... Spend the money and do it right, its always better to go overkill than not to have enough.

I second the intercooler notion, if you had an intercooler at that psi it would only hurt you. Intercoolers arent good until a certain point, and even then it depends on the size of everything. I think it was the mazda 626gt turbo cars of the late 80's or early 90's that had no intercooler from the factory. (as I recall) :wink:
http://www.streetpsi.net

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS ZE
Jacbs2007

Post by Jacbs2007 »

Yeah but during the summer with hot temperatures, wouldn't I be risking Early Detonation and just killing my valves?

Also, I've been searching all day, and I'm not sure what I would need to mod to accomodate the added boost. Would I need a fuel pressure regulator or a piggy back system for my ecu? Or could I just get a DE hotpipe kit off ebay, fit it, put the turbo on and be done with it? I can't find any info on this.

I would like to go with more then 5psi but I don't have the money or knowledge to build-up my engine for the boost. That's why I would like to just do something very simple, and low boost, so I can learn on it.
1993 GS
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

waste gate, and boost controller are big things....

I say dont use an intercooler, your engine will work so hard to pull air through the dang thing that it wont even be worth having the stinkin turbo. 5psi is barely noticable IMO, but I am used to DSM's where it takes 5 psi just to feel a difference in most cases.

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS ZE
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

Use a mitsubishi T25 second generation automatic TSI/ GSX turbo if you want to run that low of boost. I think you would have more fun and way better results running a little baby 35 shot of nitrous on the thing, but thats my opinion. Save up for it and do it when you are ready. I have halfassed things in the past because I didnt have the money for what I knew I really wanted, trust me, just buy everything new (except the turbo maybe) and keep saving up. You will be much happier in the end and not end up with issues later on when you go to upgrade peice by peice and run into tunning issues etc.. :wink:

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS ZE
Jacbs2007

Post by Jacbs2007 »

Well I'm deffinetly not going with Nitrous...I Love the thought of constant power at my fingertips.

If I can just slap on some downpipes, bolt on the turbo, BOV, and wastegate and run more than 5psi of boost on my stock internals, I'd be extremely happy. I guess that's more or less what I'm asking...can I do that without blowing up my engine or having to change any of my Air/fuel systems?

EDIT: if a MODERATOR could please move this to the Forced Induction section. I didn't even think to put it in there before and I apologize.
1993 GS
ho bag

Post by ho bag »

Since when was cooling the air at any preasure rating a bad idea??

If you got a good flowing intercooler, didnt go too big (preasure drop) it would only help thing run cooler, espically in the summer and on a car not ment for boost from the factory.

At t25 aka T-too small would be ok....if you ran 2 of them! the arnt even big enuf for the 4g63's the came on! Remember the smaller the turbo you use the more heat it will generate BUT it will also spool faster as well.

Personally i would use an old t3 from a ford or a 14b from a 90-94 5spd dsm and a srt4 intercooer. That will run fine on low boost but will be good up to about 16psi. After that you might wanna consider a 16g as the 14b will creat more heat then its worth at that point. Oh and a 1g dsm bov is fine for anything 16psi or under. Over that have the bov crushed.

What are you gonna do for fuel? stock system for now?
2002 Mazda Protege5 (Turbo kit 75% complete)
1996 Mazda MX-3 Gs KL-ZE
1994 Mazda MX-3 Rs (BP-T?)
Jacbs2007

Post by Jacbs2007 »

Yeah I'm not sure how much fuel the stock injectors will handle, but I think 5-6psi would be okay for the stock injectors. In the future I'm sure I will end up getting some nissan injectors and modding them, but that is for the future...when I actually know what I'm doing.
1993 GS

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”