Better Gas Milage With Lowering?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Better Gas Milage With Lowering?

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

OK, I have started to notice a trend of mx-3's that are loaded down getting significantly better gas milage. Has anyone with a lowering kit noticed that they are now getting better fuel consumption? Because, there must have been some serious aerodynamic shat going on for me to get a 20% increase in gas milage on the highway from adding 400lbs of stuff in the back causing the car to be lowered 2 or 3 inches. So much for the theory that having a mustache costs 2 british pounds a year in gas lol.
Last edited by Custom_V6_Limited_SE on May 12th, 2006, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

In theory it make sense .... but not at the rate of 20% ...... I don't think. If I recall, the stock aerodynamics of our cars were pretty good for thier day.
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

One factor may have been that I was going from FL to GA and I got the better milage on the way back to FL. Would that have much impact on fuel consumption?
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
bluemx3

Post by bluemx3 »

If the gas mileage was better on the return trip, my guess is that you cleaned the engine out on the trip up to GA.. If you haven't been doing highway driving for some time, you could of had carbon build up in the engine, build up in the convertor and the injectors might have been a little clogged. Doing a 3-5 hour highway drive would diffenently clean all these parts up and could increase gas mileage on the return trip. You should also notice a smoother running engine and better response.
Owner of 7 different cars, 5 being convertibles. 1990 Miata is one of my summer fun cars. I enjoy that car so much, I thought owning a MX3 would be fun also. Drive with your top open or top down. See my car web site at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/816145
ho bag

Post by ho bag »

Even the landscape can affect gasmilage. The trip with better gas milage might have been on a decline, If it was hotter out it would affect gas millage as well. Even the gas that he bought could have made a differnce.

With all that said, lowering i car in theory should improve gas milage. The less air that gets under your car, the less drag you will have therefore increasing gas milage. Thats why some people put larger airdams on the bottom of there rad support to deflect air off to the sides.
2002 Mazda Protege5 (Turbo kit 75% complete)
1996 Mazda MX-3 Gs KL-ZE
1994 Mazda MX-3 Rs (BP-T?)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”