1.6L DOHC cams

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Boris wrote:hmm. Well that sucks... I guess I could try getting a full dohc engine then. I'm assuming a sohc centerforce clutch will work on the dohc 1.6L...
Yes it will
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Boris

Post by Boris »

Cool. I'm still gonna research to find out whether I could do the head swap or not though. I'd rather do that. It would be cheaper and easier to do since I would be doing head work if I bought a complete engine anyways.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Boris wrote:I'd still like to find out for sure whether the head swap is possible though...according to josh the only difference is some oil ports which wouldn't be hard to solve at all. If anyone knows of any places in Ontario that actually have mx3 gaskets IN STOCK let me know...
Take a pic of the bottom of your head and give me dimentions. Circle the oil galleys and I will compare it to my dohc head i have on the bench. :)
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Boris

Post by Boris »

Unfortunately the head is still on. I could get pictures and dimensions of a head gasket though.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

If you guys want I'll go get my sohc engine out of the barn and compare it with the b6t heads I have laying around. I'm gonna compare the main caps from the two any way...the SOHC has a main girdle in it similar to the BP's.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Boris

Post by Boris »

Sure, that would help out quite a bit. Tomorrow I am going to look at a DOHC 1.6L head. I bought a head gasket for the SOHC so I will see how it fits on the DOHC...hopefully all I needa do is plug two oil ports like Josh said in a previous convo!
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Boris wrote:Sure, that would help out quite a bit. Tomorrow I am going to look at a DOHC 1.6L head. I bought a head gasket for the SOHC so I will see how it fits on the DOHC...hopefully all I needa do is plug two oil ports like Josh said in a previous convo!
I would also look at the timing belt tensioner and see if they look the same.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Boris

Post by Boris »

well just got back from cooksville junkyard... yesterday they had the head and today they don't :x Sooo back to square one: calling around hoping a junkyard has em.
Spotted

Post by Spotted »

Question on the Miata cams.The timing marks on the belt pulleys, do they go in their normal position? IE: Arrows pointing at each other in the center, or do they go on opposite, arrows pointing at the radiator (exhaust side) and the firewall (intake). Can you swap the pulleys if they need to point away? So many questions... Sorry.

:welder:
Boris

Post by Boris »

Yeah I would be interested to find this info out too... if/when i do this head swap I'll be posting plenty of questions similar to this...
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

wouldnt it be alot better jsut to put in a 1.8l
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
Boris

Post by Boris »

Yeah if I hadn't already bought a clutch and flywheel i would go for the 1.8
Spotted

Post by Spotted »

Probably, but I'mlazy and don't want to put the work into a swap. Besides, I don't really have a place to do the work. My home owners asso won't let me work on the car ar m place, so I have o do the work at my parents place. I don't want to put them out for too long in one shot. A little work every now and then would be ok though.
:welder:

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”