Timing?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Timing?

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

I have just aquired a destroyed SE. I don't have it at my house yet, but, I cranked it when I looked at it and bought it (it doesn't start). The guy I bought it from replaced most of the electrical parts (ECU, Disty, Plug Wires, Battery, Battery Wires...) and thinks ther is a fuel delivery issue (fuel pump). In the past, this car was completely disassembled by some kid that didn't know what the heck he was doing. I noticed that, when it was cranking, it didn't sound normal. Do you think this would be more likely to be timing than fuel delivery? (sorry, I didn't pay attention to whether or not the fuel pump clicked on. I'll check the plugs for gas when I move it.) Now, I have my nice SE, my project SE, and my sister is getting a REALLY NICE SE (96k miles, near mint, 17" rims, CD Player). LOL Now we only need 1997 more 8) .
Last edited by Custom_V6_Limited_SE on May 5th, 2006, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

OK, I have the car at my house now. I checked the gas and there is none getting to the engine. So, I'm probably going to have to replace the fuel pump. This couldn't be caused by a really bad fuel filter could it? Even if it isn't the fuel filter, I'm gonna replace it because it probably needs it and I have an extra one. What would be the best way to get a fuel pump? Just the local Advance Auto Parts or Autozone? Or, is there a cheaper way to get one?
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

O also, when it cranks, it's sort of like rrrr, da, da, rrrr, da, da, rrrr... and it sounded kind of slow so I jumped it with my other MX-3 and it still cranked at the same speed. I'll put a sound bite up soon.
Bucking Bronco

Post by Bucking Bronco »

Have you checked the fuses? I'd test the pump out first before buying one. Try wacking the pump and see if it starts up at all. or run a temp power wire.

As for the rrrr, da, da, rrrr, da, da, rrrr.... its sound s like a good song :)
Addicted to the Speed
92 MX-3 GS K8 - CAI
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

lol, I'll try to get a sound bite up tonight. I'll go ahead and check the fuses and whack the fuel pump a few times.
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

Going by your sound description, this sounds like an oscelating throttle issue... :roll: 8)
http://www.streetpsi.net

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS ZE
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

?
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Does anyone know where the fuse is for the fuel pump? Fuse box under the steering wheel? Fuse boxes under the hood? I'm having trouble with the online shop manual.
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Alright, here is a sound clip of what it sounds like

http://media.putfile.com/Car-Cranking-32

Does it sound abnormal to anyone (other than not having any fuel).
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

that sounds normal IMO -It could be just my imagination - but it almost sounds like the ecu is messing with the Idle Control Valve to try and get more fuel into the engine.
The first thing i would do is connect FP->GND in the diagnostic box and listen for the fuel pump turning on with the ignition.

If you dont hear the pump starting then it could be the fuses/wiring or the pump itself. Check the fuses and try running a separate power wire for the pump and see if it turns on that way - if it doesnt you can be pretty sure the pump is cooked.

If you do hear the pump - It could be a line/filter/strainer blockage or weak pump. Its really easy to change the strainer. Its kinda difficult to change fuel filter. They both probably need changing anyway considering its an old non-functioning car. You can probably run compressed air thru the lines to check for blockage - but i dont know if its a good idea - please wait until somebody more knowledgeable can clear that part. But if everything else checks out ok then go for a new fuel pump.

This dude has one for $60
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ELEC-FUE ... dZViewItem

It says 4 cyl but if you look down the page - it says the pump will fit a 1993 MAZDA 626 ES V6 2.5L 2497cc GAS FI N.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

I already replaced the fuel filter today. I still need to tinker with the fuel pump some more to make sure that it is, in fact, dead.
twoie

Post by twoie »

pull the pressure fuel hose off the injector rail and turn it over. If fuel sprays out then you're getting fuel

twoie
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Already did that...no fuel. I'm probably gonna be in for a fuel pump.
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

OK, I replaced the fuel pump and strainer. It gets fuel now, but, it still doesn't start. It will intermitantly fire a little. I think that the gas is really old. Could that be the reason for it acting like this or is it more likely to be something else? Also, what is the best way to empty a gas tank?
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

There is a drain plug on the bottom of the tank i think- but in my gas tank it was rusted completely and i couldnt do anything with it. I ended up getting a siphon pump and pumped it out through the fuel pump assembly opening. Try pumping out the fuel hoses too - somebody told me that - when fully primed the fuel system can retain close to a gallon of fuel.

New pump should not have been used with the old fuel IMO. The gunk might have causesd the failure of the old pump. Maybe running fuel system cleaners for the next few fill-up's would remove all the gunk.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”