People here with swapped engines... (Emissions question)

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

People here with swapped engines... (Emissions question)

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I hear some of you may live in areas where you cant have a swapped engine with higher displacement then the stock engine.
My question is, how can emissions people tell if your engine displacement is higher then it is suppose to be?

Just curious
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

The only way I know of is the IM. If you have changed your IM, the smog points probably are in a different place. And a smog shop uses the smog sticker on the hood to test the car, and if it doesn't match the engine, it fails.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
Bolverk

Post by Bolverk »

I will find out in August when I have to do emissions/inspection. So we will see if a ZE will pass in Utah.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

My ZE runs cleaner than the K8 ever did. As for them being able to tell a difference. I don't see how they could unless you have some pretty major changes. (like a turbo or more or less cylinders than it came ith from the factory) People that run the emisions down here get paid very little so they really are not that intelligent and/or don't really give a crap.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
31Matty31

Post by 31Matty31 »

i wanna switch my stock 1.8L with a KLZE
(#31) Matty (#31)
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

I am just glad I live in a place where I can have headers, resonator, and muffler.... Nothing restrictive in between.

The day will come though, and I will be the first with a resonator the same size as the cat with a quick release change function so I can switch it up before I have to go test my car...
http://www.streetpsi.net

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS ZE

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”