BP ATX to MTX swap neutral/reverse wiring

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Kuromu

BP ATX to MTX swap neutral/reverse wiring

Post by Kuromu »

This past weekend, I completed the ATX to MTX swap on my 93 RS with the BP and the only big snafu we ran into was the wiring of the neutral safety switch and the reverse lights without ripping out the fuse block/internal portion of the automatic harness. After some wiring diagram digging and a couple of forum searches, I tracked it down.

Neutral Safety is now wired into the pedal switch and reverse lights work. One fully functional MTX swap. (And man, I thought my BP was a nicer ride BEFORE the MTX swap)

I took some pictures of the connectors that were tapped into last night as I have had two people ask for them already, I thought I would go public with them as well.

On the 93 RS automatic transmission, there are two wiring plugs that provide data into the system. A white 3-lead plug and a yellow 12-lead plug.

3-lead plug from Automatic Trans Harness

12-lead plug from Automatic Trans Harness

2-lead Reverse hookup on Manual Trans

On the white plug, you will see a black/blue wire, black/red wire, and a red/green wire. For the neutral safety switch, wire the two larger black/red and black/blue wires into either your pedal safety switch, an optional ignition kill/start switch, or bridge them to bypass them completely.

The red/green wire on the 3-lead harness is half the connection for the reverse lights, so keep track of it. The other wire needed for the reverse switch is the black/yellow wire on the back of the 12-lead yellow plug.

Connect the red/green wire from the 3-lead plug and the black/yellow wire from the 12-lead plug into the 2-lead connection on the manual transmission. This will provide you with working reverse lights.

For reference, just to eliminate confusion:
black/blue = black wire with blue stripe
black/red = black wire with red stripe
red/green = red wire with green stripe
black/yellow = blackc wire with yellow stripe
93 MX3 RS BP 2.0 // 87 RX7 HKS Turbo

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”