12 inch big brake kit

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
purewhitemp5

12 inch big brake kit

Post by purewhitemp5 »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was e-mailing Rafi over at RR-racing.com about doing a front big brake kit for a 90 protege (which is the same as the MX-3) and got a response from him saying if he gets 5 people to buy he will make a 12 inch big brake kit for our vehicles. The kit will include a 12 inch rotor and a caliper relocation bracket for around $580 + shipping. for more details on this kit goto RR-Racing.com and look under 12 inch big brake kit. This shop mainly deals with The Ford probe and the Mazda MX-6 but hey every little thing counts! :D
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Re: 12 inch big brake kit

Post by Spinkx79 »

purewhitemp5 wrote:The kit will include a 12 inch rotor and a caliper relocation bracket for around $580 + shipping. :D
Caliper relocation bracket?

So it will use the stock caliper?

If so, why bother? If all you want is a bigger rotor you can use the Miata rotor IIRC.

If there is a new bigger caliper in the mix then i would prob be interested.
purewhitemp5

Post by purewhitemp5 »

Spinkx79 wrote:
purewhitemp5 wrote:The kit will include a 12 inch rotor and a caliper relocation bracket for around $580 + shipping. :D

If so, why bother? If all you want is a bigger rotor you can use the Miata rotor IIRC.

Better caliper = more money
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

purewhitemp5 wrote:
Spinkx79 wrote:

better caliper = car stops faster
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

purewhitemp5

Post by purewhitemp5 »

[quote="Spinkx79"]FYI - http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... iata+rotor[/quote
Umm and.............yes I seen that already. Well if 11 inches is good 12 inches would be better. Personally I would love to see the aftermarket grow for these vehicles and it has to start somewhere and I am just trying to get the ball rolling. This kit is basically a starting point if you cant AFFORD a REAL big brake kit you could buy this kit and later down the road upgrade to a better caliper. As a kit with 4 piston calipers probabally would cost around $1300.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

babyblueMX3 wrote:
purewhitemp5 wrote:
Spinkx79 wrote: Caliper relocation bracket?

bigger rotor = more mechanical advantage = less pressure needed = bigger caliper not needed

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
purewhitemp5

Post by purewhitemp5 »

Bochek wrote:
babyblueMX3 wrote:
purewhitemp5 wrote: Better caliper = more money
bigger rotor = more mechanical advantage = less pressure needed = bigger caliper not needed

Bochek

Yeah !! What he said !!
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Bochek wrote:

Bochek
Actually, its as follows:

bigger rotor = more unsprung weight = MORE pressure needed to stop car = bigger rotor wont do anything = you will take LONGER to stop if you dont upgrade to bigger calipers.

Actually, you should upgrade to a bigger master cylinder and brake booster to get more pressure to the calipers.

Get a nice set of pads and some Brembo blank rotors and you will stop just fine.
Last edited by atlantamx3 on May 2nd, 2006, 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

thats too much $$ for just calipers and rotors
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
purewhitemp5

Post by purewhitemp5 »

atlantamx3 wrote:
Bochek wrote:

Bochek
Actually, its as follows:

bigger rotor = more unsprung weight = MORE pressure needed to stop car = bigger rotor wont do anything = you will take LONGER to stop if you dont upgrade to bigger calipers.

Actually, you should upgrade to a bigger master cylinder and brake booster to get more pressure to the calipers.

Get a nice set of pads and some Brembo blank rotors and you will stop just fine.
Bigger rotor + Made with lighter materials ( machined aluminum hats ) = less or equal too unsprung weight + better leverage + same or less pressure = better stopping. Think about it would companies even sell these types of kits if there was no improvment in braking . I dont think so !
purewhitemp5

Post by purewhitemp5 »

mitmaks wrote:thats too much $$ for just calipers and rotors
Well you can get Rotors, 4 piston calipers , SS flexlines , pads , and Hardware from percision brakes for about $ 1550. I dont know bout you but $ 580 still sounds good to me. I'm not looking to haul my car down to a stop from 180 mph , just to improve my braking. and yes I all ready have the brembo rotors and a good set of pads.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Bigger diameter rotors and 4 piston calipers don't necessarily mean that there will be an improvement in stopping power. I fact the opposite maybe true. Even is the rotor is made of lighter material the greater percentage of the mass in farther out from the center of rotation. The inertia at 60mph would make these rotors with a 1" greater radius the equivalent to the stock rotors having the mass of about 10 times or more what they actually do. As rotational speed increases then the rotational mass also increases. In addition to taking more energy to stop they also require more energy to keep in motion. I have seen in dyno test were WHP was reduced by 5-8whp at peak after installing bigger brakes. What really counts is the compound of the pads. Most pads made for the multi piston calipers were formulated for racing where the brakes are constantly used hard and operate at much higher temp that are seen on a street driven car. The main advantage to a larger rotor is the greater mass and surface area to dissipate the heat. On the other hand for drag racing you would be better off with stock brakes and good quality street pads the reason being is less rotational mass and the pads and rotors don't need to be warmed up to achieve max stopping power much the same as a panic stop in street driving. Bigger calipers do not equal more stopping power either unless you increase the braking force at the master cylinder as well. Generally speaking if the hydraulics force of the fluid is going to more that one cylinder, the force is being divided by the number of cylinders. You could end up with less breaking force than with the stock brakes if the master cylinder doesn't supply enough fluid volume and pressure for the additional number of pistons. I don't know if any of you have seen or been on a brake dyno. They work the opposite of a chassis dyno where the rollers are spin the wheels you to a preset speed them the brakes are applied to stop the rollers in a preset time. Here as part of the vehicle inspection process this is one of the tests. I know of several people that failed this test with properly installed big brake kits but were retested with the old stock brake hardware and passed without problems. On the street aftermarket big brake kits have more to do with marketing hype than they do with performance. The need for big rotors was created by marketing people looking for you to break open your wallet not the aftermarket companies filling a need because the OE brakes need to be upgraded. SCC magazine just ran an article busting a lot of the tuning myths.
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

I was e-mailing Rafi over at RR-racing.com about doing a front big brake kit for a 90 protege (which is the same as the MX-3) and got a response from him saying if he gets 5 people to buy he will make a 12 inch big brake kit for our vehicles. The kit will include a 12 inch rotor and a caliper relocation bracket for around $580 + shipping. for more details on this kit goto RR-Racing.com and look under 12 inch big brake kit. This shop mainly deals with The Ford probe and the Mazda MX-6 but hey every little thing counts! :D
the front 4cyl and v6 calipers are not the same. i was given a set of 22v 13v front calipers and while they bolt on, they will not work on the v6.

btw, if they can make a front and rear kit for the gs, i would like to get in on this.

just using larger rotors and a caliper relocation kit WILL improve braking compared to stock.

big brake kits are big because they were meant for more extreme use to be able to withstand higher temperatures created by higher speed driving than street cars were meant for. the only way to disapate more heat is by increasing the size of the heat sink.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Yoda wrote:Bigger diameter rotors and 4 piston calipers don't necessarily mean that there will be an improvement in stopping power. I fact the opposite maybe true. Even is the rotor is made of lighter material the greater percentage of the mass in farther out from the center of rotation. The inertia at 60mph would make these rotors with a 1" greater radius the equivalent to the stock rotors having the mass of about 10 times or more what they actually do. As rotational speed increases then the rotational mass also increases. In addition to taking more energy to stop they also require more energy to keep in motion. I have seen in dyno test were WHP was reduced by 5-8whp at peak after installing bigger brakes. What really counts is the compound of the pads. Most pads made for the multi piston calipers were formulated for racing where the brakes are constantly used hard and operate at much higher temp that are seen on a street driven car. The main advantage to a larger rotor is the greater mass and surface area to dissipate the heat. On the other hand for drag racing you would be better off with stock brakes and good quality street pads the reason being is less rotational mass and the pads and rotors don't need to be warmed up to achieve max stopping power much the same as a panic stop in street driving. Bigger calipers do not equal more stopping power either unless you increase the braking force at the master cylinder as well. Generally speaking if the hydraulics force of the fluid is going to more that one cylinder, the force is being divided by the number of cylinders. You could end up with less breaking force than with the stock brakes if the master cylinder doesn't supply enough fluid volume and pressure for the additional number of pistons. I don't know if any of you have seen or been on a brake dyno. They work the opposite of a chassis dyno where the rollers are spin the wheels you to a preset speed them the brakes are applied to stop the rollers in a preset time. Here as part of the vehicle inspection process this is one of the tests. I know of several people that failed this test with properly installed big brake kits but were retested with the old stock brake hardware and passed without problems. On the street aftermarket big brake kits have more to do with marketing hype than they do with performance. The need for big rotors was created by marketing people looking for you to break open your wallet not the aftermarket companies filling a need because the OE brakes need to be upgraded. SCC magazine just ran an article busting a lot of the tuning myths.
Exactly what I was saying.
Thanks Vaughn.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”