ZE IM for my DE?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Macen

ZE IM for my DE?

Post by Macen »

I'm thinking of getting a ZE curved neck IM for my DE.
*Will it be ok to use my DE VAF and ECU?
*Is it worth spending $200 on this upgrade. I have no other ZE parts such as heads, cams or pistons. After summer I may be interested in ZE cams though.
*Can I use the DE throttle body? The IM I'm buying is complete with injectors and all hardware except the TB.

Inputs please. :)

One of the reasons that I want a ZE IM is that I then can use the stock air box. I'm not a fan of my CAI I have at the moment ending up behind the head light scrathing against the chassis.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

Get some hardware to hold the CAI still. Then it won't flop all over the place smacking into stuff and scratching s--- up or being scratched up.

I'd say save the money for a complete ZE, 200.00 is almost half way to owning one :)
Dom

Post by Dom »

RacerX wrote:
I'd say save the money for a complete ZE, 200.00 is almost half way to owning one :)
i wouldnt....zes are a hit and a miss, $600 is the cheapest ull find unless u get a good deal on the boards+install, plus few things u might want to upgrade/replace ie. timing belt, water pump, oil pump, afpr, ze ecu. clutch, flywheel, motormounts....itll be enuf money for a decent engine, so if u want the small performance gain then the im is fine, ull have to do some modding to the vacuum line if ur using usdm tb
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

Is there a difference other than pistons between the DE bottom end and the ZE bottom end?
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
rowdyPGT

Post by rowdyPGT »

ze pistons are flat top
Dom

Post by Dom »

no difference other than the pistons
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: ZE IM for my DE?

Post by jschrauwen »

Macen wrote:I'm thinking of getting a ZE curved neck IM for my DE.
*Will it be ok to use my DE VAF and ECU?
*Is it worth spending $200 on this upgrade. I have no other ZE parts such as heads, cams or pistons. After summer I may be interested in ZE cams though.
*Can I use the DE throttle body? The IM I'm buying is complete with injectors and all hardware except the TB.
Inputs please. :)
One of the reasons that I want a ZE IM is that I then can use the stock air box. I'm not a fan of my CAI I have at the moment ending up behind the head light scrathing against the chassis.
Macen, a couple of issues to possibly consider;
De has "D" shaped ports where as the Eunos800 IM (curverd neck ZE) is square, so there's a port matching and gasket issue to contend with.
I can't see using a DE VAF and ECU since they will not be in sync with the VRIS or the injector sizes. You may actually have a decrease in effectiveness wrt VRIS and with the injectors, you may encounter an extremely rich condition since the ecu is thinking it's driving DE injectors instead. The ZE injectors are larger than the DE, I believe.
So, in essance, if you're still committed toa ZE IM, you would need a ZE ECU, the JE50 VAF and also the KL68 (or similar) TB. If it were me, the cost and expense in this particular case would not be justified. Perhaps if you acquired ZE cams, than it may be a more worthwhile venture showing noticable power gains. As it is, you would be overloading the engine's capabilities without doing a cam upgrade first. Adding all of these items ===> Cams, IM, TB, VAF, ECU etc would almost cost the same as sourcing a complete ZE, even in your country, I would think. Just my $.02 though.

John
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Macen

Post by Macen »

Thanks John, you just saved me $200 that I can spend on track meets instead. :D

I think it will be better saving my money for a LSD tranny instead then.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

jschrauwen wrote:[ The ZE injectors are larger than the DE, I believe.
]
they are the same injectors, 220s :) but you were right about everything else as usual :P
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

JWMX3 wrote:
]
they are the same injectors, 220s :) but you were right about everything else as usual :P
Thanks Joe......... duhhhhhh!!! I had my Millennia 290cc injectors in the back of my mind somehow. Hope this didn't make a huge difference for Macen though *fingers crossed*
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
Macen

Post by Macen »

Hehe, nah.
Is it possible to get a ZE with a LSD tranny on it? Changing tranny isn't that hard, but if it's possible to get a complete one I rather get that.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Here's the trick Macen. Last Feb Spinkx79 and I went to Tiger Japanese an importer in Toronto. There were numerous MS8's and Eunos800's there. Some of each of them came with tranny's. The Eunos800's that did have tranny's were all ATX's whereas the MS8's had MTX tranny's. I had then separate the MTX tranny from the MS8 engine which I had pseudo tested by had to confirm if it was an lsd. I have no idea of the percentages as to how many of the MTX's on the MS8's were LSD. I believe it was an option on the MS8 and not a standard config, but not %100 on that. Tiger Japanese will ship just about anywaher and may be cheaper from Canada than the states (just guessing here). If you are of a mind to contact them looking for only an LSD you might be into a real mess since they may not be able to discern which from which and the cost for the tranny alone would be nearly the same as a whole engine. If your really serious about it, you could have basically a whole engine [MS8] and tranny shipped to you. The problem would of course be the straight neck [long neck] IM as being an issue for the LHD vehicles. HOWEVER, if a deal is struck for a complete engine and tranny, THEN have them separate an MS8 tranny and attach it to the Eunos800 engine before shipping. Maybe and extra 50 to 75 bucks for their effort. You could quite possibly end up with an LSD and you could sell the ZE engine alone and have a bit of extra cash in your pocket. Just for numbers sake...say $1,000cdn for ZE alone and $500 for the tranny alone ad opposed to about $1,300 or so for a complete engineand tranny. They do ship worldwide I believe because they do sell on ebay also. Perhaps a Toronto member could earmark a tranny and engine for you so that they won't try and screw you you or give you a DE in disguise. Food for thought.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

jschrauwen wrote:
JWMX3 wrote:
]
Thanks Joe......... duhhhhhh!!! I had my Millennia 290cc injectors in the back of my mind somehow. Hope this didn't make a huge difference for Macen though *fingers crossed*
The Millenia S Miller-Cycle Supercharged 2.3L KJ has the larger injectors.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Macen

Post by Macen »

Thanks again John. I wonder how much I will have to pay for shipping though. I like your idea about getting an engine and a tranny and then sell the ZE to someone here in Sweden or Norway. nope is interested in a ZE, but I also know others here. :)

Yeah, the problem will be getting the correct LSD without being screwed. Maybe you have some good reliable contacts? It didn't happen much with the group buy on those LSD trannies.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Macen wrote:Thanks again John. I wonder how much I will have to pay for shipping though. I like your idea about getting an engine and a tranny and then sell the ZE to someone here in Sweden or Norway. nope is interested in a ZE, but I also know others here. :)
Yeah, the problem will be getting the correct LSD without being screwed. Maybe you have some good reliable contacts? It didn't happen much with the group buy on those LSD trannies.
I thought I'd throw that out there for what it's worth. It's something that I'd probably consider. As far as actually having them confirm that it's an LSD, your dialogue with them should not reflect the value of an LSD but rather get them to agree with you that the Tranny's from the MS8's are ALL LSD"s and in that way they won'tfeel compelled to try and charge you more. if you catch where I'm coming from. Her's their link; http://www.tigerjapanese.com/
I imagine you'll need to establish some correspondance with them first to get the ball on the roll. Last time I was there, there was about a 8 or 9 ZE's there. As far as lucking into an LSD, it could be just that - LUCK

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”