What is wrong with this dyno?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Mnemonic wrote:It's so nice to see more and more of the malaysia guys on the board, just curious do you hang out with any of the guys from My323f boards? I'm sure lots of them would get a kick out of your klze swapped mx3 :)

As for the vris problems, the best solution without swapping your ecu (considering you are using either the kl31/36 ecu) would be to order 2 msd digital window switches to control the vris. I have the same problem as you and this seems to be the best fix.
I really don't see how that is easier or cheaper than just getting a $50 EPROM. Each MSD winow switch is about $80-$90, and you need 2, not to mention all the wiring that is neeed. The EPROM is very easy to install and it will net more HP since it has modified fuel/timing curves.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

omar wrote: I think I will go Megasquirt way as my goal is 200WHP. When I was doing the dyno, I was the only one with KLZE where the rest of the gang are B6T, BPT and BPD. My MX3 KLZE look so puny as most got 190WHP and above.
Well as of right now i have not been impressed with MS on a semi-stock KLZE. As i have seen about 180 WHP with stock cams and so forth and i personally have pulled 170 WHP with a KL-36 ECU with VRIS tied open, and now going back to try the modified ECU with functional VRIS, and a friend of mine pulled 175 WHP with a KL-36 ECU.

So MS has not showed it main worth...plus their are tons of down sides to it. You should read the posts on probetalk about it.
omar

Post by omar »

Mnemonic wrote:It's so nice to see more and more of the malaysia guys on the board, just curious do you hang out with any of the guys from My323f boards? I'm sure lots of them would get a kick out of your klze swapped mx3 :)

As for the vris problems, the best solution without swapping your ecu (considering you are using either the kl31/36 ecu) would be to order 2 msd digital window switches to control the vris. I have the same problem as you and this seems to be the best fix.
As a matter of fact, yes I do know them personally. Many of the 323F owners have converted to KFZE, but not many have gone to KLZE like me or handful others. If I manage to get 200WHP out of my MX3, I may inspire some of them to convert. But for 160WHP, well, the KFZE 170hp (135WHP?) still rock.

Yes, MSD switch is an option, but I would prefer Megasquirt...
omar

Post by omar »

Slammed6 wrote:
Well as of right now i have not been impressed with MS on a semi-stock KLZE. As i have seen about 180 WHP with stock cams and so forth and i personally have pulled 170 WHP with a KL-36 ECU with VRIS tied open, and now going back to try the modified ECU with functional VRIS, and a friend of mine pulled 175 WHP with a KL-36 ECU.

So MS has not showed it main worth...plus their are tons of down sides to it. You should read the posts on probetalk about it.
I think the most benefit we get out of programmable like MS is the fuel and ignition mapping. Just by bumping the ignition few degrees can make few more horses, yes? And the ease of VRIS switch point selection too.

As for the $50 EPROM, actually a friend of mine who drive Ford Telstar with KLZE bought one from EBAY. He is not very happy with it as somehow the AF is very rich and the top end is worse. Now he is back to the KL31 EPROM.
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

omar wrote:
Slammed6 wrote:

I think the most benefit we get out of programmable like MS is the fuel and ignition mapping. Just by bumping the ignition few degrees can make few more horses, yes? And the ease of VRIS switch point selection too.

As for the $50 EPROM, actually a friend of mine who drive Ford Telstar with KLZE bought one from EBAY. He is not very happy with it as somehow the AF is very rich and the top end is worse. Now he is back to the KL31 EPROM.
Well for one DON'T EVER buy an EPROM from eBay. I wouldn't even expect that thing to work. Probinators EPROM is dyno proven, an getting better as we keep tweaking on it.

Also, Probinators EPROM does modify the fuel and timing thats how more HP is able to be gained. Also VRIS should not be modified from stock points, so i don't see how being able to change them is really something u wanna be messing with.

Back to the EPROM, no one actually makes an EPROM for our engines and cares if we get more power, other than Probinators EPROM. Also a KL-31 ECU is NOT the right ECU for a Curve neck KLZE. So what do you do in this point???
omar

Post by omar »

Slammed6 wrote:
omar wrote:
Slammed6 wrote:
Back to the EPROM, no one actually makes an EPROM for our engines and cares if we get more power, other than Probinators EPROM. Also a KL-31 ECU is NOT the right ECU for a Curve neck KLZE. So what do you do in this point???
Since I will only start the Megasquirt in few month time, probably I will just tied the VRIS open, or I could also do a quick custom window switch controller using one of those Microchip microcontroller (ie PIC16F877). Or I could just add the RPM window switch function to G-force/speed logger that I am building now. Any info on curve neck VRIS switch point will be useful though...
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Slammed6 wrote:But to get the 100% kick of this hit up Probinator on here or MX6.com or 1stprobinator on Probetalk.com He makes a EPROM with all the curve neck VRIS points and the fuel and timing kicked up a hair to get the car some more HP.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but the VRIS isn't supposed to "kick" if it does, you're LOSING power because the VRIS should open into a smooth gradient of power a few RPMs lower.

Omar, I see that the HP looks fine (good, actually) but why hasn't anyone mentioned the 2" muffler? Maybe I'm missing something but a 2.5 exhaust and 65mm TB really really seems pointless with a 2" muffler. Is it stock? You're just killing your exhaust velocity and low-end torque. Still, nice numbers.
omar wrote:As for the $50 EPROM, actually a friend of mine who drive Ford Telstar with KLZE bought one from EBAY. He is not very happy with it as somehow the AF is very rich and the top end is worse. Now he is back to the KL31 EPROM.
I wouldn't trust that sh*t.

Just a note: if you get the MSD switches, get two digital ones. They're about $100 each, but that's not much more to pay to be able to tune them both in 100-rpm increments without pills...
GS-R SE
Fixin's
omar

Post by omar »

Mdavis, the 2" muffler is not stock (Mazdaspeed in-fact), but it is too quiet. I may try putting a 2.5" straight muffler.
omar

Post by omar »

Found this plot of torque curve vs RPM. I think you guys are right on about the VRIS not functioning (despite seeing it actuating).

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”