Insurance and Lowering???

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Hoodzy

Insurance and Lowering???

Post by Hoodzy »

I know i should probably just talk to my insurance company cuz everything is different but just wondering what the overall choice was for most of you guys

i plan on gettin my car lowered with eibach and gr2's... should i tell my insurance company or will they most likely just not insure me or rip me off hardcore if i do a mod....

what have you guys done... do they check that kind of stuff or even notice it if i was to get into an accident?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

here in manitoba i dont believe it matters on the mods that you do. just the car so as far as i know you dont have to tell them sh!t
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

Just lower your car and dont tell them. With the setup you are going for, to the average person your car wont look that much different from stock.
Looking for another Red GS.
sexy_mx3

Post by sexy_mx3 »

A friend of mine had his insurance cancelled on him because he was lowered... I also heard that if you get into an accident and you are lowered when they come see your vehicle for the assestment (with any mods really) they won't cover it and you're cancelled as well... in my opinion... don't tell them
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

If we all went by insurance "regulations" we would be driving around with stock exhaust, stock wheels, stock everything. Like I always say, "What the man dont know, wont hurt him!" Stick it to the man, and in Burger King's words, "have it your way"!
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

In America, there are laws allowing you to use aftermarket parts as you see fit.

The aftermarket springs for our cars only lower like 1.5" anyways. They're not going to know the difference if you shut your damned mouth. If you want to be sure, just get black aftermarket springs like Eibach and H&R. How they going to tell them from stock?
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

Read your insurance policy. If it doesn't have anything on aftermarket parts, I don't see how they can not cover you in an accident. If they try, sue em.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

The insurance laws in America are much different guys and gals. You need to find a friend in the industry in Canada and ask some questions without out fear of retribution and get an honest answer.

In America they have to cover you, but if it was your fault and you have comp and collision they don't have to replace your aftermarket parts. all they have to do it cover a stock part or total the car out (if damages exceed the cars value)

If it was the other persons fault they have to replace whatever was damaged regardless of who made it, but can still total the car if it exceeds the value.

There is no law stating that you have to tell the insurance company what you have done unless they ask.
If they do ask and you lie they do not have to cover you, regardless of when or how they find out.

I've met a few Canadian agents and your laws confuse me and are alot more akin to English law (like everything else in your country :wink: )
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

PATDIESEL wrote: In America they have to cover you, but if it was your fault and you have comp and collision they don't have to replace your aftermarket parts. all they have to do it cover a stock part or total the car out (if damages exceed the cars value)
You can however pay extra for a rider for extended coverage of aftermarket parts, but you'll need receipts to show the actual paid value.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

True, but in all insurance companies I've seen it costs an arm and a leg to get the extra coverage.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”