It just dies

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

Its like 340 + USD for the distributor setup from the dealership.
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

OK so I killed the HEI module I think cause its now cold all the time. Im going to go get another one and mount the back of it fully across the bracket. I figured that mounting it with a screw through the ground screw hole would do it, guess not. Otherwise everything else is the same as in the howto. same 16 gauge wire, bracket, wire taps, placement in the engine bay....etc. My loss. only 13 bucks.

Steve-O
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

Bud, first of all, if you want a comparison on a HEI how to, just e-mail me at Stephen@rodgerswall.com
Next, it may be your fuel pump. How much gas was in your car when it gave out going on the hwy? If it was more than half, fuel starvation may be it. Now I know I told you b4 to do a spark test....did you. This will rule out wether you need another HEI or not. Plus if your car gives out and you have spark, just get under and give the fuel tank a couple hoofs, it should kick back in and get you home

DO A SPARK TEST!!!!
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

Story time!! Ok so I was going down to advanced auto to get a new ignition module. when I got there I pulled out the dead one, went in and got another one. I decided I was going to drive home and put it in since the car normally ran without the external one. To make a long story short, I ended up getting a block away before the factory one gave out and I couldnt get the car started. The cops showed up and tried to write me a ticket for blocking traffic and pushed my car to a parking lot where I finished installing the module in the there I got it grounded out across the full back and its not heating up at all now. The car runs and thanks for all the help guys.

Steve-O
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

so if you do a HEI mod on the mx-3 and the HEI module overheats, it won't work properly either ? meaning if it gets too hot = dies out ?
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

I did the HEI mod and didnt ground it out right the first time. This caused the module to overhead and fail. I went and got another one and used the speaker clips to attatch it to the bracket and now the car runs like a champ. Problem solved. when using the clip dont put the bracket in the clip, just use it like a clamp. its hard to see in the picture in the howto but its done that way so the full back of the module is toutching the bracket. Now that its grounded across the back the module dosent even get warm to the toutch.

Steve-O

if anyone wants pictures e-mail me at sk8er_dude802@yahoo.com
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

Cool man..glad your problem is solved =)

I just redid mine in a 'special' spot with like 4 grounding areas so we'll see tomorrow how it works out..It's outside of the engine bay away from all sources of heat :D

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”