Thomas Knight ESC Electric Supercharger

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
mx3dude
Supporting Member

Thomas Knight ESC Electric Supercharger

Post by mx3dude »

Does anyone have any experience with this electric supercharger? There is hardly ANY information about them in these forums. It has been suggested that it may be the first true electric supercharger that can actually produce results. I have read the listing for it and it states that it flows up to 6psi at 455 CFM, weighs approximately 17lbs, and acts much like a rechargeable 15 second shot of NOS. It almost sounds too good; recharges, no mpg loss unless in use, lightweight, etc.

Also, can anyone comment on how much of a power increase a 95' 1.6 DOHC engine would see, mostly stock, from 6psi of boost? BTW, I haved searched for thomas knight, electric superchargers, and superchargers. Thanks for everyone's input.

Chris
95' MX-3 RS, front and rear stabilizer bars, B&M short shifter, homemade ground kit, all power options just installed, passport 8500 X50 radar detector (+15HP, -8mpg, +20mi/hr top end on the highway)
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

What are you talking about? Did you search here? There are 2 pages of results for Thomas Knight alone.
mx3dude
Supporting Member

Knight

Post by mx3dude »

BuGS

PostPosted: 25 April 2006, 22:51 Post subject:
What are you talking about? Did you search here? There are 2 pages of results for Thomas Knight alone.
Yes, there are a lot of results for a Thomas Knight search. All of these results deal either with Knight's turbo's, Eaton superchargers, or something else. None of them really directly address the new ESC Electric Supercharger and whether or not it's good or bad, works or not.
95' MX-3 RS, front and rear stabilizer bars, B&M short shifter, homemade ground kit, all power options just installed, passport 8500 X50 radar detector (+15HP, -8mpg, +20mi/hr top end on the highway)
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

It dont work...
I read they weigh about 17lbs, and whatever minor gain you _might_ get, is negated by the added weight.

You`d probably be better of removing the rear seats and some unnecessary weight from the car.

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
Oh, and havent Tomas Knight turbos a bad enough rep on their true turbo/sc kits? why would an electric sc be any better....?

spend the money on something that matters, like suspension and brakes.

-nope
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

mx3dude
Supporting Member

Post by mx3dude »

Ahhh, nice. I did see that thread in my searches, but since it had Eaton in the subject and I had already read a lot about eaton superchargers, I decided not to read that post. Obviously, it had much more to do with the electric supercharger than the thread title revealed.
mx3dude
Supporting Member

Post by mx3dude »

BTW Nope, you may want to check out the thread posted by custom. VERY informative and teasing. Thomas Knight himself posted to clear things up. I May end up going with one this summer.
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Yeah, I read it, but imho it`s a stupid idea, first you need a 200amp (or more) alternator plus lots of weight in batteries etc.

Why not just pay $400 more and get a turbokit with the power all the time, and not just in 15sec periods and then have to wait for it to recharge and stuff.

I just dont see this as a useful product.

-nope
Dom

Post by Dom »

i agree with nope....waste of time and money, if ur thinking about doing this save urself the trouble and buy nitrous or sumthing
mx3dude
Supporting Member

Post by mx3dude »

Nitrous will be a continual cost of refilling tanks. A turbo, which is always on, will constantly drink more fuel. The ESC won't tax your engine until you use it, plus it can provide multiple bursts one after another according to Knight. Personally, I can't afford 20 or so mpg around town.
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

mx3dude wrote:Nitrous will be a continual cost of refilling tanks. A turbo, which is always on, will constantly drink more fuel. The ESC won't tax your engine until you use it, plus it can provide multiple bursts one after another according to Knight. Personally, I can't afford 20 or so mpg around town.
A turboed engine will only use more fuel when under boost.
With normal cruising you might actually use less fuel, as the car runs easier due to more power.
Anyway, be glad you dont live here... we pay about $8 pr.gallon as of now.

-nope
mx3dude
Supporting Member

Post by mx3dude »

:shock: $8/gal?! :shock: DAAAAAMN, I wouldn't be able to drive at all there.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Wow, What is really funny is you are looking at this $3000 kit, and yet, I BP swapped, and turbo'ed with 210whp for $2500....
mx3dude
Supporting Member

Post by mx3dude »

Not sure what kit you are looking at, but the ESC on boosthead is 1600.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

I was looking at the one in the Link. They listed it was $3000. But $1600 for an electric motor, where you will need to pay another $500 in batteries, and alternators... I still think BP and turbo is a better way, but I guess thats me... Not that I know anything...

Return to “Forced Induction”