ECU issues, what to use?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
2.5mazda

ECU issues, what to use?

Post by 2.5mazda »

Ok, My Mazda has a probe gt motor in it. It is the GS model, I have the origonal computer from the 1.8, and the new one for the 2.5. I also have both mass air flow sensors as well. Does anyone know what combination works best? Currently I am running all probe parts, and it runs great, just wondering what else you guys do. I know a guy here in my town that did this swap and kept the 1.8 injectors, mazda ECU and mass air on the 2.5. I thought that was nuts, but he also had an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator that was non adjustable but was chrome. That made it puff black, but it seemed to run harder than mine out of the hole. Anyone have any experience with these type of fuel pressure regulators? I have all the resourses, I was just wondering what is the best route if I dont already have it.

thanks everyone! :wink:
Dom

Post by Dom »

i think u have the better route, k8 injectors are 180cc iirc and kl03 injectors are 210 so ur getting the right fuel...ur tune might be an issue but lower pressure injectors wont be better
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

Yeah, at idle you can hear a slight backfire every so often. It sounds like a little rumble, not loud, but I think every so often it misses. It has new cap, plugs, wires.... May there be somthing else or is that even a problem?

thanks for the speedy reply!
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

I'm using the 2.5 ecu with my DE. I have a KL07 ecu for sale if your interested. It's the 92-93 Probe GT one.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

I got a couple questions for you:

1) What intake manifold are you running??
(I don't know if u went K8 or KL)

2) What injectors are u running??
(Once again I'm assuming the 220cc)

3) What ECU are you running?
(K8 or KL)

4) What VAF are you using as well?

Depending on those answers i can tell u which ECU will work best.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

Intake manifold is the Mazda one from the 1.8, that is what I am supposed to use right, so the air intake goes in the right direction?

I have the probe GT computer, and GT ingectors.

thanks for the help thus far. It just seems to run sketchy. I could replace the rotor, are these known to go bad? (replaced 4.5 months ago, but got wet since then....) Do you think that is why it might be sputtering and blubbering every now and then? (when it lets a little rumble out of the exhaust at idlde) ? :wink:
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Alright, What VAF are you using the JE50 or the KL01???

Also if you are using the KL injectors and ECU u should most definately use the KL intake manifold. Thats one problem i see.

Also if your using the JE50 that will definately make the car not run like it is suppose to.

Also the rotor and cap don't normally go bad, but the distributor has a tendancy to act up.
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

oh ok, so the probe GT intake manifold needs to be put in instead of the mazda 1.8? Everything else is probe.... VAF?? I drive hondas.... you need to explain that to me... These cars are a bit more difficult to work on.
The 2.5 injectors in conjunction with the 1.8 intake manifold is not a good combo?
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

It also seems to run a little rich too.... Could this be a contribution from not having the right intake? Not enough air flow through the manifold?
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

oh ok, so the probe GT intake manifold needs to be put in instead of the mazda 1.8? Everything else is probe.... VAF?? I drive hondas.... you need to explain that to me... These cars are a bit more difficult to work on.
The 2.5 injectors in conjunction with the 1.8 intake manifold is not a good combo?
U can use the K8 manifold on the engine if you want, but you are losing power, also the VRIs points are off. Your best bet would be to use the probe manifold with the actual probe engine and the probe ECU since the VRIs will be correct.

Also VAF is the black "plunger" type thing in the intake system. Has a wire clip going to it. Chances are if you don't know what it is u are using the JE-50, which is not the correct VAF to be using with the Probe GT ECU.
It also seems to run a little rich too.... Could this be a contribution from not having the right intake? Not enough air flow through the manifold?
That would have to be the VAF if your using the wrong one. The VAF will alter the fuel to the amount of air coming in. Also what makes u think the car is running rich??
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

ok, how much power am I losing in reality? I have the probe intake in my garage, I could swap it out.... Is it worth it?

My car's exhaust smells a bit of gas, so I am assuming along with the occasional backfire that it is running rich.
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

ok, I looked at the VAF, it says KL02 I am guessing that this is the wrong one? Is the engine a KL01? 1992 or 1993 probe GT? ?
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

So I need to find a kl01 mass air, and put the probe manifold on and I will be good to go? Smoother running, a little more power? :wink:
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

The VAF is the right one to be using the with the ECU.

I would swap the manifolds and then get back to us how it runs. The K8 manifold is just crap compared to the K8.

Its never been dyno'd but i would say from the VRIS being off its possible to be losing about 10 WHP...so thats the key here. Not to mention the KL manifold will flow better than the K8 one.
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

the KL02 is ok to use with the probe ecu? Is it different from a KL01?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”