Shifter bolt

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Den... shall I??? :wink:
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
den

Post by den »

Go ahead Grants... :D Use your mysterious testosterone booster. :D
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 5 speed
Reverse glow gauge, Custom CAI, Cross drilled rotors. Toucan front strut tower bar, Custom circular ground wires, Custom exhaust w/ stainless oval dual tip muffler, Custom blue turn indicator lights on gauge panel and switches, performance steering wheel, Pacesetter short shifter
Jay72

Post by Jay72 »

Wow. I finally finished installing all the SRD bushings. That damn 3rd link was a b---- to take out and so was that bolt beside it. Although, thanks to Ovendenk, removing the whole shifter arm was easy after pulling back that rubber boot and removing it from that bolt. Having it out from under the car was so much easier to work on.
A warning to future SRD installers: Because you most likely have to tap out both bolts be careful with the front bolt otherwise you'll be stuck with a bolt with a bashed up thread, making it un-reusable. So, I might suggest to have a replacement bolt ready. Damn thing about this car is that you even have to get an OEM bolt to replace this bolt cause it's specifically made for the knuckle! I hadn't realized the top and bottom holes were different sizes. I learned the hard way and despite the glorious Home Depot for being open till 12 am, I couldn't find a match. So, I got the closest match but, the gap (smooth part) was maybe 2-3mm short of the OEM's and the thread wasn't tappered enough to fit bottom hole. Also, I had to grind one edge of the head down and widen the bottom hole of the knuckle to accomodate the makeshift bolt.
It all worked out in the end. I just hope that my little modifications don't turn out bad in the long run. Thanks for all your help everyone.

Jay

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”