ethenol

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
4gotn

ethenol

Post by 4gotn »

im looking to buy an ethanol/flex fuel kit but am unsure where to start
ive found some steel braided lines but im not sure how to go about buying an acutual kit
ive heard i need a new fuel pump too but am unsure what to buy
plez post any info
thanx
1994 MX-3 1.6L B6DE 16v DOHC - rear disc swap, nix power steering/ac, Corksport f&r strut tower bars, Pedders urethane control arm bushings, urethane motor mounts, steel braided brake lines, painted dash, protege tranny
90 Miata w/ b6, Konig Lightspeed rims, Cams (boost to come soon)
74 Porsche 914 w/ 1.8L - restoration prooject

4gotn

Post by 4gotn »

...does anyone have any idea what im even talking about..
1994 MX-3 1.6L B6DE 16v DOHC - rear disc swap, nix power steering/ac, Corksport f&r strut tower bars, Pedders urethane control arm bushings, urethane motor mounts, steel braided brake lines, painted dash, protege tranny

2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

I do, and I am telling you right now NOT to do it. I wouldnt put that crap into my car for a million dollars. I live in Iowa, ethonal capital, and I have seen what it does. DONT MESS WITH IT!!! Shouldnt have to do anything to get your car to run right with a certain fuel, if you do, then that tells you somthing right there. :wink:
4gotn

not that im trying to shoot down your opinion

Post by 4gotn »

what does it do
was it e85 or true ethenol e140
pluss what else would i have to do besides change fuel lines...possibly a fuel pump

2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

It raises the freezing point of the fuel and if the car ever sits it can separate and "curdle"
Another thing, you WILL lose horsepower. I wouldnt dream of running anything lower than 91 octane non ethonal in my MX-3. :wink:
Not worth it at all. Just dont do it for your car's sake, screw the environment. :twisted:
cris_barros

Post by cris_barros »

Around here (Brazil) we use ethanol on almost every FI car...it`s more safe to tuning the engine , the fuel is cheaper ( but also give you a poor MPG)....the only thing we usually change are the fuel bumper and filter....and adapt a gasoline reservoir to start the engine (yes, it`s a PITA to start the car with ethanol on cold days).

If you don`t have a FI car, I do not recommend it.

Check it out...a LOT of cars running ethanol (alcohol here):

http://www.herreramotorsports.com.br/

http://www.tecnobox.com.br/flash_conten ... dyna_1.wmv

http://www.tecnobox.com.br/
Cris

mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

it amazing how so many poeple say bad things about ethenol besause they just dont it in there gasoline powered car and expect it to run the same. I wish we had e85 up here the first thing i would do is build my boat motor to run on the stuff. Think about it, high octane leves like desial and the repsonse like gas, the power and mpg you get out of it should be amazzing. To start with i would be running somthing like 12.1 or higher compression. And for freezing hmmm i have a bottle of alchoul in my frezzer for 3 year now and it still hasnt frozen.
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
4gotn

Post by 4gotn »

It raises the freezing point of the fuel and if the car ever sits it can separate
your suposed to run pure e85 or up..you dont mix the fuels...thats where you mess up your engine
i do realize it is for preformance but i also know that e85 will give me less trouble then e140
im not going for formula but i do plan on making my car n/a so a cheap high octane fuel would deff be good for me
besides
im running 85 right now so there wont be any horsepower loss and if i want to run a higher octane then i just pay a little more and have a higher octane shiped to me...its not like its perm. e85....oh.. and most kits will be for "flex fuel" so i can still run pump for a while and if i run too high an octane and it eats away the rubber then its my own fault..

Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

You will be fine running 91 my brother runs 93 in his ZX2. But if you run like 104 your car better be tunned for it or yes you will have problems!!
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
4gotn

Post by 4gotn »

basicaly im sick of buying regular for 3.00 a gal
i wont something that wont cost most of a paycheck

Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

tell me about it... I am still happy i get over 100 miles on $12.
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
4gotn

Post by 4gotn »

i get about 300 on a full tank (22$)
if im lucky

2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

You guys have it good..... I get 18 per gallon if I drive normally... Then again I drive in town mostly. Here in Iowa 110 octane race gas is 3.15 per gallon while premium is 3.10 The premium pump gas has gone above the race gas a few times! lol :wink:
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I just put E85 in my car yesterday for the first time. It took like 10 miles to warm up the car ...... which I'm not saying it's bad. But the CEL went on (which I read would happen), so I watered it down by half with some 87 octane. It's running great at this level, which is about 50% ethanol I figure. A LITTLE less power, but she runs fine, and I can still chirp 2nd.
Macen

Post by Macen »

How about our engines? I have read that ethenol will destroy seals after awhile.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”