EGR Problems

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

EGR Problems

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

OK, my CEL came on and was staying on constantly so I pulled the code and got a 16. So, I decided to disconnect the EGR and see if it ran better. It did, but, after a while I smelled something burning and then the CEL turned off. I stopped and got 16, 28, and 29 which doesn't surprize me since I disconnected the modules assosiated with 28 and 29. Was there something else I was supposed to disconnect other than the two EGR solenoids? Does anyone know why it smelled like something was burning and then the CEL went out? (No, the CEL did not burn out)
Last edited by Custom_V6_Limited_SE on April 20th, 2006, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

:bump:
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

Even if you disconnected your egr, this might not solve your problem because alot of egr valves get stuck open causing exhaust gas to enter the motor constantly, even if you disconnect it in your case. I would take the egr valve out of the car and inspect it to get a better idea of why your cel was on.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
rich-k
BANNED Member

Post by rich-k »

Judt delet the whole egr system. it saved me lots a headaches
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

What should I remove? The valve and the solenoids? Is there something I would have to plug?
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

I am removing my EGR system right now...is it ok to remove the EGR valve? Because, I am in the process of removing it and I noticed that it mounts to the engine with a gasket. Does it go to anything? If so, what?
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

OK, I just got a mid-sized line off of it (which I thought was a IM line due to the online shop manual) and coolant started coming out. What's up with this? Do I have to leave that whole assembly on the car?
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

OK, :idea: I found the other coolant line and those go from the TB to the EGR valve and then keep going through the system. I'm guessing that the port that the EGR valve bolts onto is the intake port. So, I will re-rout the coolant to bypass the EGR valve, but, what should I use to seal the intake port and exhaust port :roll: ?
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

:idea: Just got an idea, I will try leaving the EGR valve bolted onto the intake with everything else disconnected. Then I will see if my old O2 sensors will fit in the holes to plug them on the exhaust and the EGR valve :twisted: .
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

:evil: My O2's are way too small to use. Any ideas?
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

OK, finally finished :D . I made sure the EGR valve was closed and left every thing hooked up except for the ECU connectors (which took forever since I took everything off, reconfigured it, put everything back on, and then put everything back to the way it was :welder: ). It has never felt so good to see the CEL on lol.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”