Still got overheating problems

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
sonue1

Still got overheating problems

Post by sonue1 »

Has any one come across a problem with the coolant being push into the over flow bottle.
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

yup....the belt for my waterpump broke
sonue1

Post by sonue1 »

Fan belt fine.Is it posible [or common] for the headgasket to blow between water ports?
Bucking Bronco

Post by Bucking Bronco »

What have you checked?
Can you drive it still or does it almost instantly start to overflow?
Have you checked the thermostat?

People need more info :)
Addicted to the Speed
92 MX-3 GS K8 - CAI
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

sonue1 wrote:Fan belt fine.Is it posible [or common] for the headgasket to blow between water ports?
there is no fan belt, now water pump belt is the one you wanna check. The one that goes to powersteering also. Does it run , do you have white smoke coming out the tail end or oil in you coolant? Check themostat.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
sonue1

Post by sonue1 »

A bit more info on the over heating,I have fitted a new water pump,fitted a new tstat thinking that was the problem still happend so removed the tstat,had radiator cleaned,flushed the motor replaced coolant. Checked compresion all cylinders running 210PSI varies by 1or2PSI checked temp switch and sensor all ok .Temp only rises after car has been driven or idle for about 20min ,and only stays up near the hot marker for about 1 min then goes back to halfway,then continues to rise and fall.but the water in the overflow bottle is not hot. No the engine has not overheated.AND typing error on my part saying FAN belt...
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

I've had this happen on my MX-3. Almost immediately when i started the car it started filling up the resevour. It turn out my Radiator cap was bad and was leaking pressure. Changed it and everyrthing was perfect after that.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
sonue1

Post by sonue1 »

Already replaced radiator cap with new one missed that on last reply.Sorry.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

oh man, i am in the exact same boat as you.. haven't cehcked compression yet. i hope it's something as simple as a new rad cap or tstat... i'll be sure to let you know when lakersfan1 helps me get to the bottom of it.

from what he said though, I would gather that if your compression's ok, you don't need to worry about the head gaskets. that's a big plus.
sonue1

Water still too hot...

Post by sonue1 »

I am still racking my brains over my overheating problem...
Can nobody give me any ideas!
Looks like my heads sre coming off..
sonue1

Post by sonue1 »

Did notice that the engine when driving has a flat spot on aceleration,
And on cruising has a bit of a surge [If that clicks with someone]?
I am now clutching at straws.....
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

Before you pull the heads do some some teting, Use "block check" to test for CO in the cooling system, take temp readings at tstat outlet, inlet to radiator and outlet from radiator. Pull a heater hose and run briefly to check flow of coolant. Also monitor how your fans cycle in relation to your temp. PS rule of thumb radiator should drop 20deg. across itself. Higher drops can indicate low flow i.e. stuck tstat, blockage (BARS Leak and ALUMA-SEAL ARE THE DEVIL!), bad coolant pump. Block tests works great if you don't want to buy the kit you could talk a shop into running just that test fairly cheap. Good luck!
92 MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, OBX headers, 2-1/2" exhaust, XL Performance muffler, AASCO Aluminum flywheel,Pheno spacers,APEXi Airflow computer,Eibach springs,Tockico struts, Toyo RA1 205/50ZR15s, B&M short shifter. MS control arm Bushings, SS clutch line, SS brake hoses
sonue1

Post by sonue1 »

Just a quick note to let everybody know that the over heating problem was due to a blocked radiator...
I had the radiator cleaned.
But after all the problems I was having I decided to check the water capacity of the radiator and found that it was still only about 40% of what it should be.
So hopefully it will be trouble free running till the next problem.......

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”