I need to prioritize my car.. suggestions?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
im2bad4ya

I need to prioritize my car.. suggestions?

Post by im2bad4ya »

Hey, everyone. I've been posting in various threads to troubleshoot my car. There are a lot of things that need to be done to it so it can pass state inspection to get it on the road. The following things I'm about to describe WILL be done to the car, I just want to hear everyones opinion in the order I should do it in...here it is:

Repair Front of the Car
Replace Hood
Replace Bumper
Replace Windshield
Replace Headlights
Replace Taillights
New Tires/Wheel Alignment

I have about $140 or so towards my car right now until my next pay check.

I already have a windshield, and am expecting to recieve my headlights in the mail next week.

So what would be the next 'logical' step? I figure to get the hood first. Believe it or not, the hood is in worse shape than the bumper. Then get the bumper. Then go to a body shop and get the front end repaired. It's not too bad, it's just the area where the radiator gaurd is, is bent upwards, and BTW, I got a used radiator gaurd from a junkyard, so I won't need to get one. The I figure get the windshield installed. I need to replace what's on my car, since it's cracked. There is also a leak on the upper part of the windshield, but its had it since my friend bought it in 11/04, and water only enters when it POURS, which doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's a nightmare. Then I should get the new tires+alignment, which would cost me $240 altogether. Last, buy the new taillights, since the one I have on the left side is broken.

Maybe I'll post pics in the near future, if enough people read/post on this topic.

Any thoughts? Should I buy the taillights since I have the money NOW, or should I save up more for the bumper and hood? (that's a rhetorical question, so you guys can understand what I mean by 'prioritize', but answer if you want anyway)
Bucking Bronco

Post by Bucking Bronco »

Post a pic. If we cant see the damage how do we select what to do first?

I would do the windshield and repair the leak @ the same time. Be prepaired to buy another one too considering its chipped and it a miracle it came off the other vehicle.

I'm in the same boat trying to get my car on the road, so I feel for yah 8)
Addicted to the Speed
92 MX-3 GS K8 - CAI
Cy

Post by Cy »

if you plan on driving the car soon as possible.. then u need to fix the mechanicals first...

then the legal astetics: windshield, tails, heads...etc...

then you'll be where i am...bumpers, MVI..

Then order some upgrades :D
im2bad4ya

Post by im2bad4ya »

OK, so today I shelved out $300 for 4 new tires + car alignment ($240 for tires & $60 for alignment). Someone at the mechanic shop suggested to invest in a new timing belt, since I don't know if, or when, it was replaced, and it is vital to the engine. And even though the wheels are aligned, the car is higher on the left side by about 2". So when I get money, I'll have someone take a look at it. After that, and a new timing belt, I'll start with the body stuff.
Cy

Post by Cy »

yeh timing belt on a used car is crucial... otherwise you might be driving have it break and one or more VERY bad things will happen...

2"inches you say... well the car if i remember right is slightly heavy on the driver side from the tranny...but get under it and checkout your springs...take an eye measurement on them...

My car sat for a year and a half... all but 3 of the springs were broken at the top
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

Cy wrote:
My car sat for a year and a half... all but 3 of the springs were broken at the top
so that means only one spring broke right?

I had 2 broken coilsprings in the front of my car, one was broken at the top and the bottom

Bochek
Cy

Post by Cy »

sry... not that it matters... but i want another post :D
All but 1 broke... the rear passenger...

I replaced them with OEM springs because my city has THE MOST POTHOLES of any city in canada...no lie...

We're also home to the Irving refinery which is the biggest in northamerica.. and we also pay the highest prices for gas in north america.

113.7 cents / Litre today... and it's suppose to skyrocket this summer (due to shortage.... RIGHT)
im2bad4ya

Post by im2bad4ya »

OK, pics of the car currently, (4/21/06)<br>
<br>
Front, the left headlight is covered with tape.
Image<br>
<br>
Front from a lower angle.
Image<br>
<br>
The headlight and tear in the bumper happened last year, a hit and run in the Bronx. (In case you were wondering, I WASN'T doing the running)
Image<br>
<br>
Image<br>
<br>
Right Side (Notice the inner wheel well, the black spot is from the tire rubbing against it, when I make tight turns. This was like this ONLY AFTER I replaced the lower ball joints a few weeks ago.
Image<br>
<br>
Left Side
Image<br>
<br>
Right Side
Image<br>
<br>
Cracked windshield (Happened when the hood flew open while I was driving)
Image<br>
<br>
The bent front end, upclose. I removed the hood latch, since it's non functional. And yes, those are headers. It was on the car when my friend bought it, so I couldn't tell you what brand they are or where they came from.
Image<br>
<br>
Wider shot of the front end damage, happened in December; notice the front of the bumper has black scuff marks, it hit the back of a Corolla
Image<br>
<br>

So I still need to get the the Right Front wheel checked out. I think it's either a bad shock or bad spring. Again, the problem was most likely caused when the ball joint fell off while I was driving.

Having the windshield crack is a mixed blessing. The car leaks inside when it is raining and it's coming from the top of the windshield. So eitherway, I would have had to get it replaced/resealed.

I was going to install my headlights, but I have to take off the bumper, so I'd rather kill two birds with one stone and install the headlights when I get a bumper.

OK, so my list again was:

Repair Front of the Car
Replace Hood
Replace Bumper
Replace Windshield [X]
Replace Headlights [X]
Replace Taillights
New Tires/Wheel Alignment [X]

I have the taillights and a new windshield, sitting in the back of the car. I got new tires and the alignment last Saturday. So after I check out the right front wheel, I plan to get new belts, which shouldn't run more than $40 (P/S belt, Timing belt, and AC belt). But what should I do next, get the windshield installed or get the front end fixed? I also have to get a new hood latch.
im2bad4ya

Post by im2bad4ya »

I was wondering if anyone would know where to find a good body shop in the North Jersey metropolitan area, Newark, Jersey City, Patterson, etc. This one guy around my area tried to charge me $200. That seems too steep.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

im2bad4ya wrote:OK, so today I shelved out $300 for 4 new tires + car alignment ($240 for tires & $60 for alignment).
Good job. But you 'shelled it out'. If you 'shelved' it, then you would have kept it.
Cy

Post by Cy »

what kind of tires...for $300...

my rubber alone's gonna cost a grand CAD...
im2bad4ya

Post by im2bad4ya »

Well you know what lakersfan1? You say toMAEto I say toMAHto. Why would you post on this forum ONLY to correct my grammer and use of words? Oh BTW, I think Phoenix will win the 1st round, 3-1.

Well Cy, I'm not sure what kind of tires they are, but I'll check. The tires cost me $240, and the alignment cost $60 for a total of $300. I was supposed to pay $24 extra for tax, but I only had $300 cash on me, so the mechanic let me get away with it.

So does anyone have A CLUE as to what could be causing the right tire to rub against the inner wheel well?
im2bad4ya

Post by im2bad4ya »

Sorry Cy, will get back to you DEFINITLEY on the type of tires I have.

So today, I'm getting some belts, a new valve cover gasket (Oil is all over the engine and tranny), & engine cleaner. I hope that by this weekend I will have my new windshield installed. After that, I'm going to look into the caues of the messed up right front wheel. I'll get new lowering springs if that's the case (which would suck because I would have to get the car re-aligned again).

So is there ANYONE in NJ/NY that could recommend a good body shop to fix my front end? Anyone?

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”