additives

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Chemical

additives

Post by Chemical »

Are there any good engine/petrol additives that peeps would recommend or are they all a pile o shat?
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

90% are just scams.
bluemx3

Post by bluemx3 »

Seafoam for the gas/injectors and oil additive
Techtron injector cleaner also
Marvel Mystery oil for oil additive
I own 7 cars and use all of these additives and feel they do make a difference. I do agree that about 90% are useless, but these products seem to be the exception
Owner of 7 different cars, 5 being convertibles. 1990 Miata is one of my summer fun cars. I enjoy that car so much, I thought owning a MX3 would be fun also. Drive with your top open or top down. See my car web site at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/816145
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

NEVER EVER USE an oil stabilizer specially on an older car, lucas FOAMS at high revs and leaves a bulky substance. My friends ze was victim to the stabilizer.
Last edited by hgallegos915 on April 5th, 2006, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Bolverk

Post by Bolverk »

Agreed, Lucas Oil Stabalizer might have killed my first ZE too.
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS KLZE
slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

Read through this, It helped me alot. I ended up getting some auto RX. It cleaned my engine and made a noticable difference.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=47306
1992 GS ZE swap 94 dash swap drilled and slotted rotors full ceramic pads CS SS clutch and brake lines KL-36 ecu zx-2 tokico struts eibach springs short shifter Tenzo exhaust Hi flow cat 2.5 in piping
Chemical

o

Post by Chemical »

I was thinking about this cuz I saw an ad for Redex fuel additive to clean the head. Got me thinking about using something to clean my engine out. I 've heard of a product called GUNK of all thing s that u put in your oil- run it for 20 minutes at idle then drain and add new oil.
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

works pretty well but i would only run it for about 10 min then drain oil run about 1 litre through and change filter then fill.
I use it all the time and im now at 240,000 km's and can barely hear my engine run when idle
p.s. i kick the crap out of my car gettin ze soon
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
neumann

Additives

Post by neumann »

Glad to hear that Auto-RX worked for slimmyslim. I think I was the contributing poster on that thread. Auto-RX works very slowly to dissolve and suspend crap.

Re Gunk (which Gunk, the Motor Flush?) most of these things are kerosene or naptha or other petroleum solvents . They may do some good but they may also dislodge enough crap in a short period of time to clog oil screens or passages. I am not totally negative on Gunk, Seafoam, Marvel Mystery Oil or raw kerosene but there are caveats.

If you are looking for gasoline additives the most universally well regarded commonly available (not in my area, but in 90% of North America) is Chevron Techron Concentrated Fuel System cleaner. Many people also like Pennzoil Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner which is based on a similar polyetheramine chemistry. Both of these vendors have confusingly similarly named products that are less effective,

The product FP60 is available currently only by ordering form lubecontrol.com but it is really good. They also make a useful oil addiitve called LC20.

There are some OTC oil additive products that may be useful if what you are looking for in a beefing up of the anti wear additive packages of motor oils. Valvoline Synpower oil treatment appears to be one of the better ones, but even STP has a ton of zinc which could be useful in some (particularly older) engines.

Any of the additives that claim to repair real mechanical issues are bad for your engine and a worst case scenario. If you pour something that coontains metal shavings or will thicken your oil so much it will not leak (or lubrcate for that matter) you are likely doing harm and only staving off the inevitable.
My Summer car is a Porsche.
My Winter car is a 1994 Mazda MX-3 GS. 1.8L V6, K&N intake, Pacesetter Short Shift, Corksports SS Clutch line, Suspension Techniques lowered, Toyo Garit HTs for Winter Grip.
RacerX

Re: Additives

Post by RacerX »

Agreed Nuemann. I had my car done a few times with sea foam but if you want something to do a complete flush/clean of the motor gunk at once, i'd recomend having them drop the oil pan when they do it and let all the garbage flow into a tank of some sorts. Midas here did that for me so no complaints on sea foam :)

As for Gunk products, for the most I have used and paid between 3- 7 dollars a can/tub for i am not very impressed with them. I guess it's matter of opinion there and application.

Marvels is kinda odd to me so I stray away from them as i've heard no real lief testimonies from aquantinces or anything.

Got to love those cans that you add to oil/fuel that say "Add up to 20 HP instantly" lololo
Chemical

thx

Post by Chemical »

Cheers guys,

Lotta useful info there. I read through all the old thread and I guess it's just a matter of choosing but also what I can get here in the UK. I've never seen seafoam for instance.
neumann

Re: thx

Post by neumann »

Chemical wrote:Cheers guys,

Lotta useful info there. I read through all the old thread and I guess it's just a matter of choosing but also what I can get here in the UK. I've never seen seafoam for instance.
Sorry, I missed your location, but some of the basics still apply. Two of the 5 products I mentioned are not available at any store near me in Central Canada (Chevron Techron and Gumout Regane). Three of the 5 best products I named (FP60, LC20 and Auto-RX) are not sold at retail anywhere. EVERYBODY has to order them. The internet and globalization generally push us all in this (useful) direction. There is all sorts of stuff that we can't get in Canada, or that is rare in Canada and sold in huge volume in the US. So I order it from the US.

If this were milk or bread or daily commodities then this would present a real problem, but for a once a year order, maybe the only issue is a bit of shipping cost. In that case you have to evaluate based on the one time incremental cost as part of the benfit to your car. No I would not pay 10 Euros to ship a litre of milk that costs 1 Euro every day. At that point I want to know where i can buy milk at the nearest shop on my local High Street. (note my crafty use of euro-references)

But paying 10 euros to ship a bottle or two worth 20 or 30 Euros once a year for what it does to your car? You betcha

On to specifics. There is a Norwegian distributor for Auto-RX. There is a Singapore distributor for LC20 and FP60. Auto-RX will ship to you directly from Florida. The lubecontrol products may be more difficult to ship for materials handling reasons, but I jhave had 3 shipments across 1500 miles and an international border.

And if you are looking for a product line with something similar to Seafoam or something simila to Techron then you may want to look at the product line from the German company LubroMoly or LiquiMoly (marketing name varies based on locale). They should be readily available in the UK.

They sell motor oils with molybdenum disulphide in solid form (which makes me nervous) and a large and confusing product line of fuel and motor oil additives. It is easier to differentiate some of these things if you have access to Material Safety Data Sheets. While not really granular at least they would tell you which things contain cool chenistry like PEA (like Techron and Regane) and which are just solvents (like Seafoam).

Lubro moly MOTOR CLEAN is a similar concept to seafoam as an oil flush solvent thing.

I believe that Liqui Moly "Jectron" is similar to Techron and may contain some PEA. Or maybe it is their FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER CONCENTRATE. Or maybe VALVE CLEAN. You see what I mean about the confusing line. If I could see even a vague list of ingredients I could refine it. But I suspect that Jectron is the fuel system cleaner that may be more than just solvents.

Anyhow, those should be available in the UK, maybe not at every shop but there must be some GARage (I am empahsizing the first syllable in deference to our british friends) near you that carries.

So in conclusion (finally!)
I would not be afraid to order Auto-RX, LC20, FP60, Techron, Regane from internet retailers. (LC20 in higher concentrations can be used as a fliiush like Seafoam too)
You may find useful products locally from Euro-companies like Lubro/Liqui Moly
I would not be in a huge hurry to flush my crankcase with solvents.
My Summer car is a Porsche.
My Winter car is a 1994 Mazda MX-3 GS. 1.8L V6, K&N intake, Pacesetter Short Shift, Corksports SS Clutch line, Suspension Techniques lowered, Toyo Garit HTs for Winter Grip.
Chemical

Post by Chemical »

Great post Nuemann- i'll take your advice and purchase and get it shipped.
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Norwegian distributor for Auto-RX??? :D
Where! :)

I want this stuff :)

nope-mx

edit: ahh, I found it. they charge $49 for 1 bottle with shipping....
Kinda expensive, even for Norway.

ah well, guess I`ll buy it directly then :)

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: additives

Post by Ryan »

I'm trying this crap just for S&G, see if it works. Also, It doubles as injector cleaner, or so they say.

I don't expect anything, but at 6.00 for half a litre, thats only $5.20 wasted.
ImageImage
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”