Corrosion on battery terminal wires

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
JYOUNYA1

Corrosion on battery terminal wires

Post by JYOUNYA1 »

Ok I did a search and could not find exactly the answer I was looking for that could help...So here goes...I am abuot to change my negative and positive wires on my battery terminals, because they are stock and corroded from in side the plastic sleeve, and on the terminals...my question is has anyone done this...and is there anything i can do to prevent corrosion, or at least slow the corrosion process down? And what would be the best brand of terminal wires to buy?
93 MX-3 GS 1.8 Liter V6 Teal Mods: Pace (Maker) Setter Custom Catback/ Phantom Auto Meters: Voltage/ Water temp, Air/Fuel (in which not one gauge except voltage works) / Custom piece of s*** intake / 17" RacingHart Z5000 wrap in Khumos that are dry rotten / Altezza Tail lamps/ Custom Black interior (still in the works)/reverse indiglo gauges/ Push Button Starter/ Viper alarm with Proximity sensor/ Brembo slotted and dimpled rotors/ rear hatch shade/ Pioneer Premier DEH-840MP, ,2 custome fitted 6"inch pioneer door speakers, 1 Pioneer Premier 200 watt amp
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Make sure the battery posts are clean before you install the new terminals. Pour hot water on them and clean up with a bit of sandpaper. When you put the new terminals on you can give them a smear of grease or petroleum jelly - that will stop the corrosion from starting again.

The brand of the wires shouldn't matter so much - just make sure you get good quality terminals. And the bigger the wire the better generally.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
alanbobalan

Re: Corrosion on battery terminal wires

Post by alanbobalan »

JYOUNYA1 wrote:Ok I did a search and could not find exactly the answer I was looking for that could help...So here goes...I am abuot to change my negative and positive wires on my battery terminals, because they are stock and corroded from in side the plastic sleeve, and on the terminals...my question is has anyone done this...and is there anything i can do to prevent corrosion, or at least slow the corrosion process down? And what would be the best brand of terminal wires to buy?
this is my first post but...

baking soda and water will clean and neutralize the corrosion. if it's really bad you might want to remove the battery from the vehicle and clean the sides and the tray. also make sure the battery casing isn't bulged or cracked. also, make sure you clean to top of the battery really good with the baking soda and water because the corrosion can create a short to ground and the battery will discharge itself as it sits.
92 mx-3 with lots of body damage
98 toyota tacoma 4x4 3.4 v6
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

AutoZone sells terminal protectors for like $1.00 Coke will also work to clean batt terminals but a baking soda solution is best.
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

terminal protectors are worth it IMO
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”