Well i want more power

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Bochek

Well i want more power

Post by Bochek »

Im looking to get ~250whp.

What in your opinion is the cheepest way of doing so?

I dont have much money, but the car is just too damn slow.

i was thinking a bpt but thoes cost a bundle.

I might have a opertunity to get a kl-de really really cheep, but thats not for sure yet.

Besides i have the 4cyl so the kl swap is a big task in its self.

What about a b6t? where do i get one? how much power will they put out?

Thanks for all your help,
Bochek
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

hate to say it to u but if u want power ur going to have to put some cash down. go for a plain and simple N/A BP there sort of cheap 200-700 and its better then the 1.6 sohc or dohc.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

yea i wouldnt get a bpt just get a n/a BP and peice ur own turbo kit together and major work
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

well i relize its gonna cost me some chash, im just looking for the most effeciant way,

so the bp with a junkyard turbo would be best?

Bochek
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

its not the best by any means, but its the cheepest. definatly start with a BP, its really the only way to go, you will be starting out 20 hp ahead. and if you got alittle more you could go and swap yourself in a Pro LX trans at the same time. or for like 1200 bucks you could pick yourself up a BPT and sometimes they are attached to a trans ( if your lucky). but if you bought an N/A BP then pieced your own kit together that would be the cheepest. the stock BPT lays about 170 hp to the crank on stock boost, and a turbo N/A BP can throw down 180 to the wheels on stock psi. so its pretty easily done for under 2500 bucks total, getting good parts. now going with wrecking yard parts, you might be able to do it for 1500 pretty easily.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

well it seems like i need to do a bit more research, il look into it all,

Basically im trying to use all junkyard parts. it doesnt matter if this build takes me a year or so.

I got time, i dont got much money.

Bochek
TREVO123

Post by TREVO123 »

fieromx3 wrote:yea i wouldnt get a bpt just get a n/a BP and peice ur own turbo kit together and major work
Ya but if you get a BPT it has better internals then the regular plain jane N/A BP just my opinion
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

TREVO123 wrote:
fieromx3 wrote:yea i wouldnt get a bpt just get a n/a BP and peice ur own turbo kit together and major work
Ya but if you get a BPT it has better internals then the regular plain jane N/A BP just my opinion
Rods only, followed with sodium valves, and lover compression. a good N/A BP will take almost as much abuse, its good if your only planning to boost 15psi, any more and i woulent feel safe. but a BPT i would probably boost to 20. i know the rods fall out after 30psi. but Bugs boosted to 30 on his N/A BP, and that was the braking point for the N/A rods, so i would say if your going to build a junkyard turbo kit starting out with a good N/A BP would be the best rout. because stock for stock with boost you will be starting out with more power.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

so by the sounds of things its a N/A BP with a junkyard turbo.

no ones mentioned it, but what about a supercharger instead of turbo, my car has no ac, so it would fit nicely right in there, i think. if it was small enough

Bochek
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

u'll get more power out of a turbo than u will out of a supercharger.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote:u'll get more power out of a turbo than u will out of a supercharger.
not entirely true a turbo will add more power at higher rpms but for off the line acceleration supercharger all the way instane boost no spolling required

but in the end the supercharger / turbo debate is all personal preferance

but starting off with a turbo bp is the cheaper way in the long run even if you don't run it with the turbo hooked up and na headers

you'll still be starting off with better interals,and injectors just make sure you get the higher flowing fuel pump aswell
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

reaper of souls wrote:
Limegreen mx-3 wrote:u'll get more power out of a turbo than u will out of a supercharger.
not entirely true a turbo will add more power at higher rpms but for off the line acceleration supercharger all the way instane boost no spolling required

but in the end the supercharger / turbo debate is all personal preferance
I just have to say this becuase it seems fitting, but this is not entirely true either. It is very possible to setup or tune a supercharger or turbo charger for various parts of the powerband. Centrifical superchargers are often not effective at lower RPMS, where as roots blowers are what is more commonly thought of in terms of supercharging.

Freqently OEM's use tiny turbos to give low end grunt but wheeze when it comes in terms of the top end, all in all it just depends on how you desing you setup.

Pick your power band, then pick your parts to get it.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”