Constant Thump ????

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Constant Thump ????

Post by schuttie2002 »

Ok heres the scoop. The other day I was accelerating from a stop sign and here this loud snap. then there is this constant clunk or thumping sound. It comes from the passenger side. I figured i messed up an axle, and sure enough I did. I replaced that, but the awful thumping is still there.

The noise happens all the time, no matter what speed. Whenever the car is in gear the thumping occurs.

If I put the car in nuetral and coast, the thump is like gone. As soon as I put it in a gear...thump thump thump.

This has me scared because I have no clue what could have snapped and be making this noise. Did I fork my tranny? It still goes into every gear and shifts fine.

I have replaced both of the ball joints, endlinks, tie rod ends, and control arm bushings recently. I inpected all these parts and they all seem fine. I tested for play in the wheel bearing and its ok too. The springs are not broken I checked, and the lugs are tight.

What in the world could have broken and be causing this. The steering is also fine, its just whenever im in gear it clunks/thumps.
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

Here is a little more insight to the situation. I jacked the car up and put it on jack stands. I left the tires on for now, and started the car up. Its prob not the safest thing to do, but I put the car in gear and started accelerating...dont worry the wheels were prob a good 4 inches off the ground. When Id let out the clutch the thumping would start. It'd then go away until I was about 8-9 mph on the speedo. I also started in second and had the same feeling. The clutch pedel would shake(more than usual) and then about at 8 mph the thumping would get really bad. As soon as I'd put the car in nuetral though the thumping would stop.

So far my conclusion is that the problem lies in the drivetrain somewhere. Right now Im thinkin its something in the tranny, or some part of the clutch/flywheel assembly is messed up. I guess Im going to take it apart this weekend, but any imput would be awesome. Thanks
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”