Snapped An Axle...Common??

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
rebel2k4

Post by rebel2k4 »

n2ogsze wrote:Be glad axles are snapping and not transmissions. I'd keep using the autozone axles with lifetimes warranties. They can be replaced in 15 minutes and are cheap insurance. I'd rather have the axles being the breakaway point rather than the tranny.
Words of wisdom there my friend.

I have remans and they dont break. I broke 3rd gear before an axle ever got hurt..
94 Mazda MX3 GS - 395 whp 397 ft lbs untuned on pump gas and stock KLDE 15 psi boost. now running 16 psi and E85.. numbers=? 425ish whp
04 GSXR 600- full exh, power commander 3, int turn signals, etc
98 Ford Ranger 3.0L
01 YZ250- most fun vehicle Ive ever owned.
95 Eclipse- built 420a, 60-1, megasquirt, 371 whp @ 17 psi, dsm-broken-car-curse
nolig2278

Post by nolig2278 »

I have autozone axles in my bpt setup and they have been in a couple years now. Might be my 2nd set but it has been years and probably 25000 miles or more and they are fine. I boost daily 9 psi and have run 15 psi a few times.
94 RS to BPT
2.5 FMIC
MicroSquirt
2.5 Exhaust
[url=https://gilon.levinsonltd.com/mx-3.html[/url]
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Well, I am getting annoyed by this.

I was trying to figure out why my car was vibrating pretty bad when turning, come to find out that i had messed up the joint on the driver's side axle. So i went and ordered a new one, Autozone Re-manufactured.

Well 2 days later when i actually decide to get on her and hit 1st to second and snapped the axle shaft clean off. Damn! So i gotta order another one, its got lifetime warranty, but i know i will break another if i beat on it again. Well 3 broken axles down and now i am moving on to the 4th.

Is there any medium point for stronger axles? or is that the only oprtion ~$65-85 dollars for a AutoZone one or $300-$400 for forged ones?
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

driveshaft shop carries them but i must say they are expensive (700$) but in ur case it might be well worth the money and hoppefully stop u from snapping them so much
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Well i am thinking $400 canadian sounds decent. I'm gonna give the shop
Babyblue is using a call.
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Called them today, Excellent prices. I'm ordering a set ASAP.

He was very informative, and helpful in finding me a set of axles that fit my car to the HP that i am putting out. I told him where i keep snapping the OEM axles and he was gonna upgrade the spline on the joints as to be sure i don't snap it again.
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

add me to the snapped axle list. Mine were also lifetime warranty deals from auto zone, and mine was also the passenger side axle. I'd be interested in hearing more about these axles u just got. Did you get them from the 800 number on this post? and also was it 400 after shipping or before? thanks
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108
nolig2278

Post by nolig2278 »

How much power are you putting down to break axles?
Do u have a bp tranny, joint shaft (half shaft) and bp axles?
Where on the axle does it break?
What happens when it breaks?
Any warning signs?
Does it break on launches, in turns?
94 RS to BPT
2.5 FMIC
MicroSquirt
2.5 Exhaust
[url=https://gilon.levinsonltd.com/mx-3.html[/url]
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

slammed 6 and I both have v6 swaps in our cars. Im not sure bout power, but theres a guy on probetalk with a similar set up as mine with about 170whp, so somewhere in that range.

I didnt really have any warning signs, I was just crossing a road, hit a little dip under acceleration and all the sudden I heard a loud snap. Im taking it apart as we speak, but mine the outter cv is totally forked. I can turn the joint shaft and outter shaft in totally different directions, so Im gonna say the cv just blew up pretty much. Ill see if I can take some pics
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

add me to the snapped axle list. Mine were also lifetime warranty deals from auto zone, and mine was also the passenger side axle. I'd be interested in hearing more about these axles u just got. Did you get them from the 800 number on this post? and also was it 400 after shipping or before? thanks
Lol, well i snapped 2 driver ones and a passenger one, and i think the passenger one is f'd up again..damn. Well i got two more axles in the car from autozone, and i will not be racing any time soon. I am awaiting my Stronger axels from CV Tech.

The 800 number did not work, try the other one that they gave. And from what the guy told me on the phone was $250 US and then i believe he said about $60 to ship to California.
How much power are you putting down to break axles?
Do u have a bp tranny, joint shaft (half shaft) and bp axles?
Where on the axle does it break?
What happens when it breaks?
Any warning signs?
Does it break on launches, in turns?
1) I am putting down about 280 WHP on the nitrous, but i have yet to break one on the bottle. I break all my axles all-motor, and i put down only 170 WHP all motor.

2)I have a KLZE with a Probe GT transmission now, since i shattered my MX-3 tranny.

3)On my axles that i have snapped they have been in great condition no torn boots or anything and i snapped the main shaft in the middle of the 2 boots. broke it completely in half.

4)Well when it snaps nothing really bad happens ur car will be in pretty much nuetral...lol. You can't drive it anymore.

5)No warning signs to look out for, if u snap it its not gonna be prevented.

6)I snapped all my axles on the 1st to 2nd shift.
MAZDASPEEDMX-3

Post by MAZDASPEEDMX-3 »

The 800 number did not work, try the other one that they gave. And from what the guy told me on the phone was $250 US and then i believe he said about $60 to ship to California.
so what did you get for 250? are they the
350 hp axels? and is that for both of them?
6)I snapped all my axles on the 1st to 2nd shift.

yea i snaped one of mine on the first to second shift and the other just gave out after driving on it for a while?!
2002 Subaru WRX In the process of new motor build.
1989 Honda CRX Daily driven Beater. 50MPG!!
rich-k
BANNED Member

Post by rich-k »

with the right amoint of power hells yea youll snap an axel

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”