Cheap and easy black headliner

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
den

Cheap and easy black headliner

Post by den »

I just replaced my sunroof and while I was at it I did something cool with my headliner and visors. Intead of replacing it with black cloth, I painted it black and it turned out realy great. It's cheaper and way easier than replacing the cloth, it's even easier than cleaning a dirty headliner :D .

I haven't installed it yet coz Im gonna spray the roof with undercoat spray for better insulation and sound proofing (cant afford dynamat).

Its an excellent paint coz it is absorbed by the cloth just like dye. So its not gonna peel or crack and it will retain the same texture of the cloth. I used 3 cans of spray paint to cover the headliner, sunroof liner and visors. I consumed that much coz I changed color and like I said the paint is absorbed.

My next project would be the faded dirty carpet. I'm gonna use the same paint. Its an excellent paint coz it is absorbed by the cloth just like dye. So its not gonna peel or crack.

:D
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 5 speed
Reverse glow gauge, Custom CAI, Cross drilled rotors. Toucan front strut tower bar, Custom circular ground wires, Custom exhaust w/ stainless oval dual tip muffler, Custom blue turn indicator lights on gauge panel and switches, performance steering wheel, Pacesetter short shifter
rsroadkilla

Post by rsroadkilla »

sounds good, but ya never said what paint it was you used! :p
den

Post by den »

Oh yeah... It was carpet and upholstery paint. The paint was called u-fix-it(canadian made) but i am pretty sure you can get it from a different company.
Reverse glow gauge, Custom CAI, Cross drilled rotors. Toucan front strut tower bar, Custom circular ground wires, Custom exhaust w/ stainless oval dual tip muffler, Custom blue turn indicator lights on gauge panel and switches, performance steering wheel, Pacesetter short shifter
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

den wrote:Oh yeah... It was carpet and upholstery paint. The paint was called u-fix-it(canadian made) but i am pretty sure you can get it from a different company.
AND AND AND, from where????? Canadian Tire, Auto pArts Plus ?????
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

you have any pictures of this by chance? Just curious to see what it looks like...i have mine all ready to go, except black suede :pimp:
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
den

Post by den »

I just installed it this afternoon and... OMG its beautiful. I'll take some pics tom. I got it from canadian tire... Those who want it should get it ASAP coz they are almost sold out at most canadian tire store. I'll take a picture of the spray paint so you can see which paint I am talkin about.

Auto paint section of CanTire... remember "u-fix-it carpet and upholstery paint", 3 can atleast are needed to change the headliner and visor color to black. Only available in two colors: grey and black.
thelatinpimp

Post by thelatinpimp »

PICS :twisted:
den

Post by den »

Here is a pic of it.

Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I did that as well with spray dye. Im going have to recover it. Once its touched, it starts comming off.
precidian

Post by precidian »

the problem with the spray application is it can be applied unevenly as in the picture.

I had the same thing happen as Custommx3 ... and I ended up recovering mine with black ultra suede.
Tom S. - '94 MX-3 GS-X Sparkle Green

I say, Ahmed. What is that thing you do when you're about to assassinate an infidel?
den

Post by den »

Its even but looked uneven on pic coz of the flash. Not sure about it coming off.
precidian

Post by precidian »

looking at the pic... the difference is not due to flash... trust me I know a bit about photography...
Tom S. - '94 MX-3 GS-X Sparkle Green

I say, Ahmed. What is that thing you do when you're about to assassinate an infidel?
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

looks good to me.
den

Post by den »

looking at the pic... the difference is not due to flash... trust me I know a bit about photography...
I hope I can join a meet soon so u can see it.

I am not like some young teenager who make things up. Look at my seat, its also painted but it looks even.(hope it doesnt stick to my white shirt.LOL) Flash creates shadow thats why there are some dark spots especially if I took a picture at a dark basement garage. There may be some imperfection ofcourse but not as bad as you think. Anyway I'm just sharing it for those who wanna do it that's all.

trust me I know a bit about photography...
I trust my own eyes than you photography expertise.
Cy

Post by Cy »

i'm gonan guess 4 sq.yrds.(for just the liner) of black felt and some spray glue is probably cheaper then that paint..

i'm removing my sun visors in place of a thicker strip of tint on the top of the windshield and 99cent Oakly imatation sunglasses...

Return to “Appearance”