difference between a kl36,kl31, and a kl46 ecu?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
stereoking15

difference between a kl36,kl31, and a kl46 ecu?

Post by stereoking15 »

what is the advantage or disadvantage to running any of these ecu's? wich one has the best overall performance and capabilities for the mx3 wit ha klze swap running obd1? input would be appreciated
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

The difference is the fuel maps and VRIS points. The best ECU for your ZE will be the one that matches your version of the ZE.
So, the way to tell what ZE you have is by the throttle body number. It is stamped on the top of the TB.
Mixing and matching will cause a decrease in power.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
precidian

Post by precidian »

Tom S. - '94 MX-3 GS-X Sparkle Green

I say, Ahmed. What is that thing you do when you're about to assassinate an infidel?
JM1EC-V6

Post by JM1EC-V6 »

'94 Mx-3 GS-R SE, KL-ZE Interprep. (From '96 PGT KL)
1110Kg
-Interprep KL31 Spec.
ported heads, Polished combustion chamber,3 angle vlv job,10.3:1 C.R.,0.020'' O.S.,KL31 cam,-0.007'' heads,Long neck IM,KL31 TB, Hotshot headers,2.25'' exhaust,Magnaflow cat
ImageImageImage
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Bah!! Dont bother with the ECU's.. stay with your K8 ECU and run a piggy back fuel management system. That way you can still pull all your error codes simply.. the cost is the same and you get better performance for the money spent.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

i wouldnt say the cost is the same tunes, its a little bit more to go piggyback thats what i plan on doing and im using a kl31 ecu
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Guess that kinda depends though man.. I have seen people on e-bay pay $400 for a KL31 (and yeah I laughed too LOL). I did generalize.. but you got a good deal on your ECU and not everyone will get that good of deal man ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
precidian

Post by precidian »

I only paid $150 on ebay for my KL-31 ECM... so ..there are deals out there.
Tom S. - '94 MX-3 GS-X Sparkle Green

I say, Ahmed. What is that thing you do when you're about to assassinate an infidel?
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Honstly i have used both a KL-31/36 ECU. and from what i am learning now my chipped K8 ECU is the cheapest route, and provided more HP than my KL-31/36 ECU. And you are still able to pull codes like normal.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”