Twin-Trapezoidal Link (TTL)

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

Anybody heard of this before? I just saw it on a website talking about mazda cars.

Something to do with the rear suspesion allowing the rear tires to turn to aid in sharp turning or something?

anybody know what mx-3's have this and how it work?
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Yep.

The MX-3s have the TTL Suspension set-up in the rear.

This is one of the reasons that the MX-3 handles soooo well.

Quote from Wikipedia:
The MX-3 used Mazda's proprietary Twin-Trapezoidal Link (TTL) for the rear suspension. It passively allowed the rear wheels to turn slightly in order to enhance handling. It has been used on a range of Mazda vehicles, providing a smooth ride, yet delivering responsive handling while minimizing body lean.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

any diagrams or videos on this nice technology?
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

yep its just off of the main MX-3.com page...http://www.mx-3.com/brochure/intro.cfm

The patented Mazda Twin Trapezoidal Link (TTL) independent rear suspension works to deliver some of the benefits of 4-wheel steering, such as quick response when you change lanes or turn corners, but does it without added weight, complexity or cost. TTL automatically maintains the best alignment of the rear tires to the road surface, improving both stability and agility.
~Perry
Please visit
onderground_mx3

Post by onderground_mx3 »

sounds like super hicas on nissans if i understand correctly from the 3 post above....if i understand right then why don't our a-- ends pivot like theres
precidian

Post by precidian »

onderground_mx3 wrote:sounds like super hicas on nissans if i understand correctly from the 3 post above....if i understand right then why don't our a-- ends pivot like theres
The super hicas is 4 wheel steering and different from the TTL setup that the MX has. I would recommend google.
here is what I found in 30 seconds...
HICAS (High Capacity Actively Controlled Suspension) is Nissan's rear wheel steering system found on cars ranging from the more recent Skyline and Z iterations to smaller models like the 240sx. It is also found on models from Nissan's Infiniti division, such as the Q45 and the M45/M35. Unlike other four wheel steering systems, Hicas and Super Hicas is fitted to improve handling rather than as a parking aid.

Earlier HICAS versions used hydraulics to steer the rear wheels. The hydraulic system was powered by the power steering pump and used speed sensors to determine how much and which direction to steer the rear wheels. Later versions, called Super Hicas, moved to an electric actuator for the rear steering rack, making the system much lighter. The Super Hicas system also used its own computer to control the system insted of speed sensors. HICAS and Super Hicas rear wheel steering is limited to about 1 degree in either direction.
Tom S. - '94 MX-3 GS-X Sparkle Green

I say, Ahmed. What is that thing you do when you're about to assassinate an infidel?
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

onderground_mx3 wrote:sounds like super hicas on nissans if i understand correctly from the 3 post above....if i understand right then why don't our a-- ends pivot like theres
And also-- they are RWD rather than FWD...
~Perry
Please visit
onderground_mx3

Post by onderground_mx3 »

atlantamx3 wrote:
And also-- they are RWD rather than FWD...
yea i know we have 2 rather nice rb powerd ones locally...just for some reason when reading that i thought of super hicas for some reason
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

TTL automatically maintains the best alignment of the rear tires to the road surface, improving both stability and agility.

This is pretty much why mx-3's are the s---.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”