screaming fan belt

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
neverender

screaming fan belt

Post by neverender »

I was wondering if anyone has ever had a problem with their fan belt. every once in a while mine starts to make a real loud screaming sound and sometimes it rips apart and falls off, then i have to get it towed (3 times). I took it to my mechanic, and he replaced the alternator, but it still squeaks every now and again... not sure if the problem was amplified by the cold, because the problem started to die down once the weather started to warm up.
95 MX-3 RS 12"TypeR, RockfordP4002bridged so far.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

We dont have a Fan belt. Its electrical.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
neutral
Supporting Member

Re: screaming fan belt

Post by neutral »

neverender wrote:I was wondering if anyone has ever had a problem with their fan belt. every once in a while mine starts to make a real loud screaming sound and sometimes it rips apart and falls off, then i have to get it towed (3 times). I took it to my mechanic, and he replaced the alternator, but it still squeaks every now and again... not sure if the problem was amplified by the cold, because the problem started to die down once the weather started to warm up.
Yah, on my 95 RS, I usually have to adjust the alt belt tension a couple times after I replace it. Alt. belts normally stretch slightly as they break-in so if one adjustment is needed, that's normal on a lot of cars. The belt deflection spec is pretty narrow on the MX-3 4 cyl. dohc models so the belt is prone to slip and screech if even a slight tension adjustment is needed. Could also be a pulley that needs replacing (other than the alt pulley-like H20 pump-pulley) . If a pulley isn't exactly aligned, the friction created will shred da belt.
Image -Jim
neverender

hmmm...

Post by neverender »

thats what i had assumed. But i have no idea how to re-align the belt. Info on that would be much appreciated.

thanks.
95 MX-3 RS 12"TypeR, RockfordP4002bridged so far.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”