Evotion Spings?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Drewation

Post by Drewation »

*new* 1995 Blaze Red MX-3 GS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/drewationmx3
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

Drewation wrote:
Bochek wrote:i would put mine on. but the sellers website wont let me pay :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Somebody a gonna get hurt really bad!

Like serisouly, it says something about a invalid phone number or whatnot.

Bochek
so he will ship to canada? this is all it says about canada and shipping "Shipping costs: To Canada -- Not specified " does that mean he does or does not?
He does NOT ship to canada, im having them shipped to my grandparents in florida. They are bringing them back for me in late may.

ugh such a long wait.

Bochek
tallymx3

Post by tallymx3 »

anyone have pics of these on there car yet. i want to see what the drop is like
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

why do you car about what the drops like? I woudl be more worried about the ride...we know how many inches the drop is, is pretty clear isn't it?
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

I find this thread hilarious.

Its as if no one has learned a ---damn thing since the beginning of this forum.

This phrase sums it up:

"YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!"

Do you have any idea how expensive proper spring-winding machines cost? Even if the company does have one of those machines (i would hope), what about the spring rates & diameters? Do these springs fit the perches properly (probably) but are the spring rates proper? I doubt it.

The reason these are so cheap is easy to figure out. 1: they are made in a 3rd world country where labor is cheap, 2: they are made of inferior quality steel, 3: they have absolutely NO R&D put into their development (this i can guarentee).

Springs are what your entire car rides on. Why compromise the safety & handling & ride of your car to save $100? This I simply cannot understand.

You'd seriously be safer to cut a coil off your stock springs (springs that at least YOU know were machined properly) and ride on those than to put these peice of crap no-name springs on your car.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
MazdaManiacMx3
Supporting Member

Post by MazdaManiacMx3 »

Maybe they are just cheap to get a customer base , and their price will increase with business . Something Like a introductory price.

Just a thought , but I do know one thing for sure , noone will ever know how they are until someone trys them, as for the cutting of the stock spring , who needs to cut them , because Mazda designed them ever so generously to automatically lower the car for you when they snap .. Oh well , we'll all See , maybe they are crap , maybe they will be decent . I can't see them being the best springs in the world , but for god sakes they have to be better than dropzone coil overs .. LOL
93 Kandy Tangerine Mx3 GS-DE
05 Saab 9-2x (Wrx power plant)
02 Subaru Impreza OBS
05 Subaru forester Xt - sti mods
04 dodge ram - toy hauler -FOR SALE
& Lots of Toys to haul :D
tallymx3

Post by tallymx3 »

I heard yesterday from my sales rep that toucan ind. is going out of business so maybe thats why you can get them so cheap. Kind of like a close out deal. Who knows?
But i would like to know if anyone has ACTUALLY installed these on there car, bybe some feed back.
1992 WHITE 1.6l SOHC saving for a BPT swap next year, New interior next month, and new Paint Hooray
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

Gro Harlem wrote:
Its as if no one has learned a gosh darn thing since the beginning of this forum.

This phrase sums it up:

"YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!"

Yeah its true...that woudl be my only thing stopping me from getting these, is that its too good to be true. But gro, you've got to understand that some things can be better AND cheaper.

A good example woudl be things like ZX2 tokico struts. They're cheaper than the tokico struts made for our cars, and they performe better with eibach springs because they are the springs ZX2 struts were desinged for. The mx-3 tokico struts were designed for stock springs.

And it could aslo be that toucan industries is going out of buisness, but i don't think Evotion is THEIR housebrand or anything. I mean they sell reactive, and reactive will still be around right? I guese well just wait and see.

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

reprobation

Post by reprobation »

Okay... so i finally got the springs on today.. here's the pic's
At first I wasn't all that impressed with the drop.. but after driving about 10 miles.. the springs settled more and i LOVE THEM! The drop was about 2.2 inches.. As for the ride.. its awesome..

they are stiff enough to really make the car feel rigid.. but soft enough to let you glide over smaller dips.. the bigger dips (i live in texas.. the roads suck here) are slightly different though.. you feel them.. but just enough to let you know they are there..

Highway driving feels almost exactly the same.. if not better.. nice and smooth.. anyways! here's the pictures! with commentary! Again.. the drop is actually alot lower now than it is in the pics.. because all the pics are before any settling at all!

Just a before and after comparison

Before shot - front.

Before shot - front tire

Before shot - rear tire

During - Lifting the rear

During - Pulling the Plastic speaker covers off to exposed the top of the strut. Also.. this is the shot with the rear seatbelts removed.

During - Lifted and almost ready to come off!

During - Hover car! Struts removed and the car is sitting on jacks...
Off to the shop for the spring compressor!

During - Seperating the old struts and springs to get the strut mounts on top.

After - Skipping a few steps here.. we got the new springs on the new struts with new strut boots, with the old strut mounts. All tightned now and rims put back on.. All jacks removed.. here it is!
reprobation

Post by reprobation »

Remember.... after settling.. these things got LOW..
drop so far is about 2.2 inches.. and looks awesome...
Thanks for all the support guys.. and for answering all my questions so friggin' quick!

-Chris
tallymx3

Post by tallymx3 »

Looks good man. You say it rides nice thats awsome i was thinking of getting a set. :D But OUCH on the 2.2 Drop im not in a good area to be that low. :(
1992 WHITE 1.6l SOHC saving for a BPT swap next year, New interior next month, and new Paint Hooray
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

to me.. that doesnt look like a 2.2" drop

This is on a suspension techniques 1.75" drop that has settled to about a 2".

I assume its going to settle and go lower though...
Last edited by Custommx3 on March 17th, 2006, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
tallymx3

Post by tallymx3 »

ya he said the pic was taken before it settled. After settling it went to 2.2.
Reprobation if you would post a pic with it settled. Oh and thanks for the info i was wondering if anyone was ever going to actually install them.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

mine will be in soon, il actualy have my springs on wednesday by the sounds of it!

Just gotta save up the money for the new struts, no biggie.

BTW. are the KYB GR-2 struts the best for the application?

Bochek
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

Strut of choice will always varie, but I'm gonna tell you now, a spring that drops the car 2.2 +inches is NOT a spring for the KYB-gr2 struts. Those are factory replacement (10% better tho) and are not MEANT for stiffer and lower springs. They work ok for eibach and other mild springs, but not 2.2" drops. They will wear out, and its better to spend your money on something better.

The tokico (zx2) ($220 shipped CND)struts have better valving and are meant for the low and stiffer eibach springs, so they woudl probably be your second best choice of strut. If you want to wait and spend the money, go with mazdaspeed, they are the strut of choice but very expensive (200 per strut or more).

Also, you can buy the tokico mx-3 strut or dropzone, but dropzone sucks, and tokico for the mx-3 aren't designed for aftermarket springs.

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”