V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Shiverptb

EGR codes?!

Post by Shiverptb »

I have a 92' mx-3 1.8 gs
it has recently been dying on me
so we have replaced alot of parts that were problematic
and then after getting soo frustrated i took apart the whole vaccum system
put it bak on and then miraculously it worked it hasnt stalled yet but i do have a check engine light on now all the time before it would only pop on for a few seconds and then shut off! i went to the shop and i am getting an egr code i was wondering if anyone had the same problem as me and got an egr code my problem is located on an earlier post..

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=49699
jsx

Post by jsx »

egr sensor.

not the valve, the black mofo on the top of the egr valve.

"EGR serves one purpose and one purpose only. That purpose is to reduce Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx). Undernormal combustion, Nitrogen(N2)Oxygen (O2) in the air and Hydrocarbons (HC) in the fuel combind into water(H2O) Carbon dioxide (CO2) and the Nitrogen remains unchanged. Under very hot combustion temperatures, the Nitrogen reacts with the other two byproducts and forms Nitrogen oxide (NO). After being released into the atmosphere, it picks up another Oxygen and becomes Nitrogen dioxide (NO2). In the presence of sunlight,
it combines with other compounds like Hydrocarbons and forms Smog. Since exhaust gas is inert (very stable) it doesn’t burn again. So by being introduced into
the combustion chamber, it will lower combustion chamber temps enough so that
the Nitrogen doesn’t react with the other compounds and is passed unchanged out
the tailpipe thus not contributing to smog. Now, since exhaust gas doesn’t burn, it
doesn’t exactly help with combustion. At higher RPM’s, this really isn’t noticable,
but at idle, the reintroduction of exhaust gas will cause a very rough idle and can
cause stalling if to much is introduced into the combustion chamber

"

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”