Camshaft

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Boris

Camshaft

Post by Boris »

I can't find a 1.6L performance cam anywhere...if anyone could tell me who makes em I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

SOHC or DOHC??
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Re: Camshaft

Post by monty73741 »

which 1.6
I think the sohc is custom

& the dohc you can use the miata but the intake goes on the exhaust & the exhaust from the miata goes on the intake of the mx

jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
Boris

Post by Boris »

It's SOHC
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

gude.com
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
Pocketracer

Post by Pocketracer »

Try this link...has both sohc and dohc cams http://www.sportcompactonly.com/product ... 4&c=39&l=2 :wink:
Boris

Post by Boris »

gude.com only has dohc miata cams or V6 mx3.

And as far as I could see that sportcompact site only had honda cams...the skunk2 site only advertises cams for hondas and mitsubishis...

Would any other cams fit on my mazda? Any of those 1.6L SOHC honda cams? I know that there are performance cams for trackers (or sidekicks...forget which one) which have a 1.6L SOHC... If anyone has any ideas please let me know :)
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

I have never seen a preformance cam made for the sohc u problay have to have it custom made. thare is a turbo kit for the sohc mx-3 by racingmazda but its a pertty penny.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Email them, when i was going to build my sohc they quoted me a price on one and it wasnt to bad, showed moderate gains.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
Boris

Post by Boris »

Thanks for all the help...I emailed gude.com and can post prices and stuff if it's possible to buy from em.

Other than that, if anyone has any other creative mods for the mx3 I'm open to suggestions... not gonna go for the turbo cuz it's too much $

Here's what I will be doing if you have anything to add please do:
-centerforce clutch
-machine flywheel enough to make it lighter :)
-making throttle body spacer
-either making or buying header
-make cold air intake (if anyone knows any good places to buy one please let me know)
-cat back exhaust (hoping that Borla will be able to supply that)

Hoping the mx3 won't be so gutless once all this is done :lol:
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

I got a cam from my 1992 sohc mx-3 engine, I can pull out for u.

Let me know where u live and I'll hook up with a cheap price
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
Boris

Post by Boris »

I'm in Oakville. I would love to buy it from ya as long as it's in good shape. Did you notice a big difference after putting it in?

email is borisstefanovic@hotmail.com feel free to email me about price and other stuff if it's more convenient for ya.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

i put a decent amount of mods on my sohc and the best time i got was a 16.9 them i went BP and never looked back look at the bottom.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

I hate to tell you this but it is a waste of time and money trying to get a MX3 SOHC 16v engine to be fast. At least the DOHC has a lot more options due to being able to use Miata parts. Even the 323 SOHC 8v engine has more potential for mods.

A BP swap will yield you much better results for cheaper, dont wait to find this out the hard way.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
Boris

Post by Boris »

well the centerforce clutch was ordered a few weeks ago from my work already and will be here sometime this week, so I think I'll be stickin with the SOHC. Unless the DOHC engines share the same clutch as my mx3...in which case I would consider an engine swap.

And for anyone who's interested, gude.com sent me a price list for cams, and I believe a SOHC mazda cam is around $300.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”