Manual shift problems

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
edvaru

Manual shift problems

Post by edvaru »

My '94 1.6L has from time to time problems in shifting between gears. Sometimes I can only shift forward in 1,3 and 5. Sometimes only 3rd, sometimes stuck in 1st gear. It's like somethings loose inside the gearbox preventing me from moving the shifter around. This all started when the dealer flushed all the fluids for the 194K service. The dealer can't find the problem because it's intermittent. Most of the time the car shifts fine, but it's just anoying that on most uncomfortable situations the car won't shift.
any ideas what it can be?
nicksmx3

Post by nicksmx3 »

you have a problem with your shift cable, if it pops out of gear sometimes. if it wont go into gear its probably a synchro.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

nicksmx3 wrote:you have a problem with your shift cable, if it pops out of gear sometimes. if it wont go into gear its probably a synchro.
There's no shift cable in a mx-3.

Check the busgings on the shift rod and make sure their still intact.

Bochek
nicksmx3

Post by nicksmx3 »

i shoulda known that lol i just put in a shifter the other night lol. dont mind me
max kl

Post by max kl »

nees to check ypour motor mounts if they are tight it sounds like an enturnal trans prob
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
edvaru

Post by edvaru »

I brought the car to a mechanic. The motor mounts are fine. The shift linkage is all lubricated. He couldn't find anything wrong. He mentioned that the CV axle is making noise in sharp corners, but I don't think it has anything to do with the shift problem. He drove the car for 30min and the problem never occured, so he didn't know were else to look.
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

it could possibly be your internal differential pin. i was having problems with mine one night and was rushin to get it home. i took off from a stoplight and was shiftin into 3rd when it died. it was then locked into 3rd gear with no possible way to pull it out of gear. i had to buy a new transmission becuase the diff pin had been shot thru the top and bottom of its casing. i might want to add that i tend to drive it hard. another possibilty is that the one of shifting forks could be broke.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”