MX-6 manual transaxle

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
placham

MX-6 manual transaxle

Post by placham »

I got a KLZE with MX-6 GE5B (5spd).

I will need different axles( I have a 1993 MX-3 GS AUTO, trans is garbage as before removal of the engine it barely moved foreward and needed to sit and warm up before any gear would actualy catch)

The old K8 engine is out with trans.
The KLZE just came in, it's sitting on a pallet in my garage.

I will be going to the junkyard for some minor parts(Mounts, and such)

Is there any axles that will fit directly over to MX-3 and work with that trans, If so what car.

There was a MX-6 at the junkyard with V6 manual trans, the axles look fine , will the axles from that car work on MX-3 (I would need both sides correct with the jack shaft)

Or would I have to also convert the wheel hub (for the correct axle size spline??

I need haelp on this one????????????

How do you guys fit KZLEs in MX-3s, do you use different transmissions????

I can aslo get pictures if needed, I just dont know how to post them on this site, unless i post them at a different site.

T H A N K S

PS. V6 MX3 uses a G25MR transalxe right, what does the V6 MX6 use is it the same??????????????????
max kl

Post by max kl »

YES U.S.A. MX3 AND MX6 BOTH USE G25M-R TRANS THE ONLY DIFFRENCE IS THE FIMAL BRIVE GEAR RATIO.
MX6 AXLES WILL NOT FIT MX3 CHASSIS
AXLE STUB ON PASS AXLE IS THE SAME

SO YOU MUST USE MX3 AXLES
MOST KLZE SWAPS USE U.S.A. TRANS
I HAVE SEEN OTHE THREADS ABOUT GETTING THE J SPEC AXLES FOR THE J SEPC TRANS

YOU WILL PROBLLY WILL HAVE TO GET A U.S.A. TRANS AND DRIVERS SIDE AXLE FOR AN MX3 PASS AXLE FROM AUTO SHOULD WORK
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
placham

Post by placham »

Ok correct me if I wrrong.

So basically I will need aanother 5spd trany right.

Does the trans matter what it comes out of for example (Ford Probe GT, Mazda MX-6 V6, Mazda MX-3 V6 not 4cyl)?

I have to find a V6 MX-3 for the trans to work anyway right, because of the axle.

About that trans, the reason i'm asking is because, I have seen a 5spd MX-6 at the junkyard this weekend, so if it works I would not have to look around for it, i havent seen that many V6 MX-3s 5spd at the junkyard.

Axle could be easily bought from a parts store, I will just have to pay core charge for it.

And the driver side axle is the only one I need right, passanger axle with jack shaft should work on the manual from automatic right?

One more question about trans and engine mounts.

The passanger side mount, radiator front side mount, and firewall rear mount all should work, except the transmission (under battery) mount has to come from 5spd (again does it matter what car it comes from)?

Oh and do I need another starter then, or could I use it off the KLZE, and flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, (and the input shaft splines) all are the same between US trans and JDM trans right?????

That might be a lot of questions but I want to get the KLZE with the trans in these weekend, and I will need all the parts then also, I dont want any suprises.

THANKS
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

why does the k8 trans feel like if it had shorter gear ratios? we took a ride on my friends ze mx with a kl tranny and gears last forever o.0 maybe its just me? i prefer shorter because faster :/
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
max kl

Post by max kl »

quote="JWMX3"]-Manual tranny (92-95 mx3 gs, the mx3 trans has lower final drive gears than 93-97probegt &mx6v6,93-98 626v6) all having higher final drive gears the taller gears will help reduce wheel spin and allow higher top speed also help gas millage

-Flywheel (stock 17lbs, fidanza 9lbs) get one from a k8 the kl is 25lbs

-Clutch (you can buy a kit including both bearings, disc, pp, and tool) any kl clutch 93-97probegt &mx6v6,93-98 626v6 has the larger cluch disk the 94 and up k8 clutch is the same size as the kl 92 & 93 ar smaller

also you can use the front motor mount from 93-97probegt &mx6v6,93-98 626v6 its beefer and cheaper than the mx3 one but you must drill the trans crossmember holes out slightly larger
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
150 shot
max kl

Post by max kl »

placham wrote:Ok correct me if I wrrong.

So basically I will need aanother 5spd trany right.

Does the trans matter what it comes out of for example (Ford Probe GT, Mazda MX-6 V6, Mazda MX-3 V6 not 4cyl)? no

I have to find a V6 MX-3 for the trans to work anyway right, because of the axle. no

About that trans, the reason i'm asking is because, I have seen a 5spd MX-6 at the junkyard this weekend, so if it works I would not have to look around for it, i havent seen that many V6 MX-3s 5spd at the junkyard.
yes mx6 trans will work but wiring plugs are for reverse lights diffrent .

Axle could be easily bought from a parts store, I will just have to pay core charge for it.
i would buy axle for d/s mt mx3 and pay core then return any random core the parts guy wont no the diffrence

And the driver side axle is the only one I need right, passanger axle with jack shaft should work on the manual from automatic right?
it should

One more question about trans and engine mounts.

The passanger side mount, radiator front side mount, and firewall rear mount all should work, except the transmission (under battery) mount has to come from 5spd (again does it matter what car it comes from)? mx6 is simalar but mx3 mount may be nessary

Oh and do I need another starter then, or could I use it off the KLZE, and flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, (and the input shaft splines) all are the same between US trans and JDM trans right?????
starter will work i dont no about the input splines

That might be a lot of questions but I want to get the KLZE with the trans in these weekend, and I will need all the parts then also, I dont want any suprises.

THANKS
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

150 shot
placham

Post by placham »

Ok, so when I'm going to go to the junkyard I will need a parts list so I get everything I need.

Ok, so basicaly I'm doing Auto 2 Manual conversion with KLZE sawp.

Parts I will need:
G25M-R trany from(MX-3 V6, MX-6 V6, Ford Probe V6, 626 V6 if it's manual)
Driver side CV Axle from MX-3 V6 5SPD(good condition only)
Transmission mount from MX-3 V6 5SPD (would MX3 4cyl 5spd mount work?)
*****When I'm going to get trans from Junkyard I take the trany with all the sensors and cut wiring for it with connectors from donor car********

Part I have at home:
KLZE straight neck with wiring
KL36 Ecm
Correct VAF
Flywheel with ring gear for manual trans and starter
5SPD starter
Clutch friction disc
Pressure plate
Throw out bearing with fork and slave cylinder
Master cylinder
Clutch pedal (from 4cyl MX-3 with two switches on it)
Shifter
Shift rods

Clutch will be upgrade eventually when everything is in running order.

Hydraulic lines will have to be connected somehow but thats peace of cake will do it last.

Guess thats it did i forget anything, PLEASE let me know if I forgot anything or anything that I should get from the junkyard when I'm there?????????

THANKS
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Your list looks pretty good, but the pedals are all one unit so you need a set of pedals from any manual MX-3.
4 banger mounts will nnot work, you need the trans mount from a manual MX-3. (MX-6 and Probe mounts are different for the passanger and drivers side I think)
You will not have to use the clutch switch on the new pedals as your dash harness is looking for the park switch, not the clutch switch to let you start the car. So you have to fool the park swtch by making sure the metal things that attaches to the shifter thinks it is in park. (you'll see what I mean when you take the auto shifter out)
And fool a sensor clip in the engine bay by jumping two pins with a wire (a search will bring up a pic of the connector and the pins that need to be jumped)
Then be very careful that you don't start the car with it in gear. You wear out a starter and maybe the flywheel by doing that.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

OK, for one you can use the tranny u got but you will need several things:
1) a)KFZE intermediate shaft (IF the tranny u got has LSD)
b)Stock MX-3 intermediate shaft (IF the tranny is an open differential)

2) a)The Driver's side inner shaft from that tranny (IF the tranny has LSD)
b)Stock MX-3 driver's side axle (IF the tranny is Open Diff)

You will need the rear tranny mount, and the top tranny mount. You CAN use the MX-6 front tranny mount, but you ill have to re-drill the holes on the front to i believe a 1/2" hole
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Also you know some modifications will have to be taken to fit the Straight Neck Manifold in there...right??
placham

Post by placham »

Yeah I know that there are some issues with straight neck fitting into engine bay( something to do with master cylinder)
I probably figure it out when I'm instaling the motor, or if it will be too hard I just use the K8 (IM, temporarly) or just get Millenia curved neck)

I only got the straight neck, because I have read somwhere that it has mlittle bit more horse power or that it's response is a litle better, plus that semed like it was a good deal, I came accross while I was looking for an engine.

What is the easiest way to check and be sure if the trany is LSD or OPEN DIFFERENCIAL???

Thanks

PS PATDIESEL, thanks for the info appreciate your input, also I will try to use different words in the future LOL. Yeah I know what you are talking about, its like a shift linkage cabel for switching gears in automatic car, but it has kind of a little button you have to press in for the car to start, and also to get the keys out I think(not sure do)
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

take the axles out so u can see straight through and if it looks like this ( ) then its LSD, and if it looks like this (I) then it open differential.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”