Buying a MX3, have a few questions

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
neonkai

Buying a MX3, have a few questions

Post by neonkai »

Hey there! First post hehe. Anyways, im new around here (i have been reading forums for months though, just no posts) and I am looking at picking up a mx3 this weekend. I just had a couple questions:

Its a 1992 mx3 gs, klze swap already done, headers, 2.5 exhaust, 9lb flywheel, stage 3 clutch.

I was just wondering what sort of common problems are associated with this swap and what I should check for when looking over the car. Any info you guys could provide me would be most appreciated.

ps - love this place, and I am VERY excited about joining the mx3 family!
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

Well the first thing I would do is verify it's a real ZE. Other than I personally have not not experianced any problems with the swap presay...maybe someone else can say more on that subject.
Friends are just enemies who lack the testicular fortitude to kill you.

I'm a 2min man in a 1min universe

94 GS - KLZE, Spec2 Clutch, Fidanza 9lbs FW, 2 1/4 full magnaflow exhaust. 145WHP / 147WTQ
neonkai

Post by neonkai »

I am pretty sure its a klze. the seller is ncmx3 from the forums here and im pretty confident that its a klze. Im talking more about small stuff that a non-mechinic (me) would be able to check.
Im one of those guys that cant learn till i have something to learn on.
MX3 with near 0 experience = me
good learner with a great forum to help = situation

So im sure ill learn
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I believe this thread should answer your questions.
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48312
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
neonkai

Post by neonkai »

nice link, never would have found that! That helps alot, thanks.
3 days left
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Good selection for a link Mike!!
Welcome to MX-3.com neonkai. That thread attached should serve you nicely. I would suggest to go through a ton of ZE threads to get an idea and especially (if necessary make hard copies) memorize what to look for from all of the pics provided from those threads wrt, coolant thermosensors, IM, TB, CAI, suspension, brakes, exhaust etc. After your research, make up a list of Q's along with the hard copies of the various parts/items that you need clarification about.
I would also recommend anyone buying a new/used car to take it to a shop (read not cheap, not your budy) preferrably a Mazda and have them give it a good looking over. This would be done in any case to be on the safe side not to mention the possible necessity for a subsequent formal inspection for ownership transferrance - if it applies to you. Part of those checks would confirm engine integrity, compression check for one, as well as possible exhaust, emmissions, suspension and alignment verifications.
It would also be prudent to confirm that there are no leans against this car. It sure would be very dis-heartening to find out the car is going to be repossessed because of an outstanding lean.
The ZE in general is a KL based engine therefore it's meant to reside in an MX3 - IMO ....LOL. As long as there were no shortcuts done, than you should feel confident in your purchase.
Few other small Q's to ask or small issues to consider. Reason why other person is selling would be one. Reason why you want an MX3. And why an MX3 with a ZE. Again, being quite knowledgable about the MX3 and the ZE together would serve you well when it comes to routine maintenance since as you said you're not the most mechanically inclined. That being the case, when it has to get certain servicing, it's best to know what to ask for and what you need due to the sometimes uninformed or narrow-thinking of some Mazda shops. If it's an oil change, than it would be for a 626/MX6. If it's a new axle or CV joint than it's for an MX3. Suspension parts - again - for an MX3. New plugs - well that's been covered in past posts. If you happen to be catching my drift here.
Anyway, good luck with your future/potential buy and look forward to your post-script.
*John*
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
neonkai

Post by neonkai »

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. And yea, that laundry list of questions I have already been building and asking. My only downside in the situation is I wont have one of those "Oh my god, its a totally different car!" posts. I wont have felt what a normal mx3 would feel like. But its all good! I live in colorado, but sometime this year im gonna have to take a road trip to one the meetings up with the kanucks or the MOCA folks. thanks again for all the wonderful info!
3 days left
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

You are welcome in GA anytime. My garage is always open to anyone with a MX-3 :wink: Especially my favored ZE swapped MXs. :D

Good luck with your car.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
neonkai

Post by neonkai »

My ZE is a straight neck, so for sure ill be hitting you up for advice Pat!
Id say is join the club and sell the "How-to" for a straight neck for 1000000 dollars....but I didnt do the swap, so I couldnt tell ya.
3 days left

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”