bought a new clutch

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
JYOUNYA1

bought a new clutch

Post by JYOUNYA1 »

Just bought a Clutch, how much would it cost to have it put in, machined flywheel and all?

~Jay
93 MX-3 GS 1.8 Liter V6 Teal Mods: Pace (Maker) Setter Custom Catback/ Phantom Auto Meters: Voltage/ Water temp, Air/Fuel (in which not one gauge except voltage works) / Custom piece of s*** intake / 17" RacingHart Z5000 wrap in Khumos that are dry rotten / Altezza Tail lamps/ Custom Black interior (still in the works)/reverse indiglo gauges/ Push Button Starter/ Viper alarm with Proximity sensor/ Brembo slotted and dimpled rotors/ rear hatch shade/ Pioneer Premier DEH-840MP, ,2 custome fitted 6"inch pioneer door speakers, 1 Pioneer Premier 200 watt amp
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Probably somwhere in the range of $300-$500. But your best bet to get a more accurate estimate is to call the local shops in your area.
JYOUNYA1

Post by JYOUNYA1 »

Wow that's alot...does it involve removing the engine from the bay?
93 MX-3 GS 1.8 Liter V6 Teal Mods: Pace (Maker) Setter Custom Catback/ Phantom Auto Meters: Voltage/ Water temp, Air/Fuel (in which not one gauge except voltage works) / Custom piece of s*** intake / 17" RacingHart Z5000 wrap in Khumos that are dry rotten / Altezza Tail lamps/ Custom Black interior (still in the works)/reverse indiglo gauges/ Push Button Starter/ Viper alarm with Proximity sensor/ Brembo slotted and dimpled rotors/ rear hatch shade/ Pioneer Premier DEH-840MP, ,2 custome fitted 6"inch pioneer door speakers, 1 Pioneer Premier 200 watt amp
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

You don't need to remove the engine, but it's still alot of work. Most shops will charge $500 in labor. Might have to pay extra to get the flywheel machined.
shawno

Post by shawno »

Hey if you have a little knowledge back ground and a shop manual. You should maybe think of doing it yourself its pretty stright forward. you save a s--- load of money. My buddy and I can swap a tranny is about 3-4 hours.
92 GS KL-ZE, millenia intake, 5 Speed, Custom eyelids, custom molded 98 Toyota supra tail lights, Lowered, lambo doors. Still under construction, And more to come
JYOUNYA1

Post by JYOUNYA1 »

how about you and your buddy take a 14-18 hour road trip to NC and help me with this things...lol...Just kidding...I dont have a garage...but i guess I could bring it to a parts store and do it in the parking lot....those guys don't mind...what is the most difficult part about changing it?
shawno

Post by shawno »

What u do is take out the air box and battery and every u need to , to get at the tranny. U will need a jack to let down the tranny and put it back up, and what i used to keep up the engine when there was no trannt was a 2x6 with legs and i streched it across the engine bay and tied a chain to it to keep it in the right place.
92 GS KL-ZE, millenia intake, 5 Speed, Custom eyelids, custom molded 98 Toyota supra tail lights, Lowered, lambo doors. Still under construction, And more to come
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

You're not going to be doing it in any parking lot. This will take more than a day of sunlight, especially for a newbie. You don't have any friends with garages?
twoie

Post by twoie »

If you can finds a place to do it yourself, then have at it. I new very little about cars except for changing brakes, oil, and the rest of the easy things until I dove right in. I still don't know crap but I managed to swap out a blown moter with the help of members on here, the search wows, and from the shop manual. Take a chance and see what you're made of. You will probably suprise yourself and learn alot in the process!

Keith
JYOUNYA1

Post by JYOUNYA1 »

Hey I ran into an old friend of mine that is a mechanic and races Hyabusa's. Him and I will change out my passenger side drive shaft, and clutch this thursday night...I will help him with the disassemble of both clutch and drive shaft, but I will not be able to help him with the clutch installation as I have to wait for him to get his friend to resurface the Flywheel, and I have to be picked up from his house and driven back home by my roommate and brought back the next day. I have been given quotes of $400 - $500 just for labor in installing a new clutch....I really want to show my friend appreciation, how much do you guys thinnk I should give him.

I also have a general question...is it possible to mix and match clutch disk? Say I buy an Exedy pressure plate, pilot bearing, and throw out bearing, can I use an ACT 6 puck clutch disk with that set up?
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Yes, you can mix and match pressure plate and disc. However, only ceramic and organic clutches should be used with the OEM Exedy pressure plate. The kevlar discs require higher than OEM pressure plates. Anyways, the ACT 6 puck is unsprung. I don't think you want an unsprung disc.

Give your friend $150 and a case of cheap beer.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”