What kind of HP should I expect?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Teqnyck

What kind of HP should I expect?

Post by Teqnyck »

Out of a klze mx3. I'm worried cause corksport is getting 165hp out of a klze with headers, exhaust, intake, and rechipped ecu. Is that normal? Seems awfully low to me. Opinions?
KLZE/KL31 ecu/Pacesetter headers/track pipe cat delete/2.5 inch custom exhaust out to fart pipe/warm air intake for now :(/Fidanza 9lbs flywheel/Stage 2 kevlar road racing clutch which still slips/stock wheels/BFG KDW-2 tires. Looks bone stock ;)

There are those who claim to be street racers, and then there are those who claim the streets for themselves. I am not a street racer. I am a StreetSweeper.
http://www.streetsweepersracing.com
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

with other modifications you can get more hp to your wheels but the general range for hp is 160-175
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
mxmaz

Re: What kind of HP should I expect?

Post by mxmaz »

Teqnyck wrote:Out of a klze mx3. I'm worried cause corksport is getting 165hp out of a klze with headers, exhaust, intake, and rechipped ecu. Is that normal? Seems awfully low to me. Opinions?
Yeah 165whp is pretty normal. ze's dont seem to respond to well to mods.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Re: What kind of HP should I expect?

Post by babyblueMX3 »

mxmaz wrote:
Teqnyck wrote:Out of a klze mx3. I'm worried cause corksport is getting 165hp out of a klze with headers, exhaust, intake, and rechipped ecu. Is that normal? Seems awfully low to me. Opinions?
Yeah 165whp is pretty normal. ze's dont seem to respond to well to mods.
kl's respond well to boost !!!
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

I have a ZE with only an exhaust mod and I got 145WHP and 147TQ so with all that stuff 165WHP sounds good.
kl's respond well to boost !!!
Yeah I think you and Brandon have proven that with no doubt in anyones minds :P
Friends are just enemies who lack the testicular fortitude to kill you.

I'm a 2min man in a 1min universe

94 GS - KLZE, Spec2 Clutch, Fidanza 9lbs FW, 2 1/4 full magnaflow exhaust. 145WHP / 147WTQ
Teqnyck

Post by Teqnyck »

Wow, ok. Well, fast is fast no matter what your wheel rating is. I was just expecting a little more, i guess. It's still double my current hp, so i'm down with that.
KLZE/KL31 ecu/Pacesetter headers/track pipe cat delete/2.5 inch custom exhaust out to fart pipe/warm air intake for now :(/Fidanza 9lbs flywheel/Stage 2 kevlar road racing clutch which still slips/stock wheels/BFG KDW-2 tires. Looks bone stock ;)

There are those who claim to be street racers, and then there are those who claim the streets for themselves. I am not a street racer. I am a StreetSweeper.
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Selecta wrote:I have a ZE with only an exhaust mod and I got 145WHP and 147TQ
Damn man thats very low. Assuming 15% drivetrain loss, that still doesnt even put you at 170hp and the ze's are supposed to be 200hp. What kind of dyno did you use? Is it possible you have a millenia de?
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

ok something ive been wondering may sound dumb i dunno. if the kl-ze has more hp than tq wjy is it at the wheels ur usually getting more tq than hp it dont make sense to me
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

is that a real ze? my kf pulls around a little to 140 tw .. i doubt the ze is the same sint it like 160 something? :/ hmmm
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Teqnyck

Post by Teqnyck »

I'm curious, so many people going with the kf ze instead of the kl, why is that? more upgradeable or something?

hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

dont got kfze yes it has mad torque in 1st and secoind gear..once you hit 3rd the gears become to short and the engine becomes out of breath..it has k8 heads , has good cams but for gods sake get a klde. kf is not much of an upgrade. I can take on alot of cars in 1st and second gear east by like 2 car lengs then they always catch up. :/ get a de that one has torque all the way trough the power band and i believe its around 160 somethin torque..kf is around 140 torque. and thats the round port. For the same money you can get a ze or for cheaper a klde with more power. We did the swap because we well i got it instead of kl and wanted to see what was up with the engine. It is a good engine but not as good as others.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

Selecta wrote:
I have a ZE with only an exhaust mod and I got 145WHP and 147TQ

Damn man thats very low. Assuming 15% drivetrain loss, that still doesnt even put you at 170hp and the ze's are supposed to be 200hp. What kind of dyno did you use? Is it possible you have a millenia de?
Well I was not the only one with those numbers. There were four of us who went and we all have checked the engine codes they are verified ZEs.

All of us got the same results, though we do belive there was something messed up at the dyno place

94 GS - KLZE, Spec2 Clutch, Fidanza 9lbs FW, 2 1/4 full magnaflow exhaust. 145WHP / 147WTQ
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

hgallegos915 wrote:dont got kfze yes it has mad torque in 1st and secoind gear..once you hit 3rd the gears become to short and the engine becomes out of breath..it has k8 heads , has good cams but for gods sake get a klde. kf is not much of an upgrade. I can take on alot of cars in 1st and second gear east by like 2 car lengs then they always catch up. :/ get a de that one has torque all the way trough the power band and i believe its around 160 somethin torque..kf is around 140 torque. and thats the round port. For the same money you can get a ze or for cheaper a klde with more power. We did the swap because we well i got it instead of kl and wanted to see what was up with the engine. It is a good engine but not as good as others.

Somethings wrong with your motor buddy :) ESPECIALLY SINCE dyno's prove that the kfze has the same mid range to upper power band that the klzes have. Just like my klze now it loves 4k+ in 3rd and 4th.

Of cource i had about 2k in head work with custom SS larger race valves, P&P, 3 angle valve job and a bunch of other little stuff.

You should of bought those heads for 200 when i was selling them. They went to a Lantis Type R owner in Malaysia
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Selecta wrote:
Selecta wrote:
Well I was not the only one with those numbers. There were four of us who went and we all have checked the engine codes they are verified ZEs.
All of us got the same results, though we do belive there was something messed up at the dyno place
Uday, you guys should have gotten better numbers than that like mxmaz said. Would it have been you, Ian, Mikey and ???. What state of tune was eveyone's car in? - New plugs, good wires, 94 gas, correct air filter location, clean air filter, cleaned disty rotor contacts, cleaned disty cap contacts, oil change, TPS is tuned spot on, intake tract is clean, and last but not least - what was everyones compression test results prior to the dyno. If I remember correctly, Mikey has a compression readings that were around the 160's and 170's I think, which is rediculously low (= very bad sign). Is eveyone of the ZE's using a ZE IM, a ZE ECU, a ZE TB, a ZE VAF/MAF. Start removing any of these from the overall picture and of course your not going to see anywhere near the true ZE potential. This isn't even taking into consideration that everyone may not be running on perfectly serviceable O2's, with a serviceable/efficient/effective exhaust system (header, Cat, Pre silencer, muffler, tubing diameter). Again, more detractors from potential HP. Add it all up and it may not be suprising to see that your results were dramatically lower than normal.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

Selecta wrote:
Quote:
Selecta wrote:

Uday, you guys should have gotten better numbers than that like mxmaz said. Would it have been you, Ian, Mikey and ???. What state of tune was eveyone's car in? - New plugs, good wires, 94 gas, correct air filter location, clean air filter, cleaned disty rotor contacts, cleaned disty cap contacts, oil change, TPS is tuned spot on, intake tract is clean, and last but not least - what was everyones compression test results prior to the dyno. If I remember correctly, Mikey has a compression readings that were around the 160's and 170's I think, which is rediculously low (= very bad sign). Is eveyone of the ZE's using a ZE IM, a ZE ECU, a ZE TB, a ZE VAF/MAF. Start removing any of these from the overall picture and of course your not going to see anywhere near the true ZE potential. This isn't even taking into consideration that everyone may not be running on perfectly serviceable O2's, with a serviceable/efficient/effective exhaust system (header, Cat, Pre silencer, muffler, tubing diameter). Again, more detractors from potential HP. Add it all up and it may not be suprising to see that your results were dramatically lower than normal.
Hey J,

It was Krish, Ian, Mke and Myself....later Oscar came.

Well for me I have never done a compression test...so I don't know what it is running at. As for the other stuff you mentioned the car pretty much walked in and got the dyno done...there was no pre-dyno checks or cleanups.

I will be getting the compression tested this spring to make sure all is in order before getting any additional work done on the car fo sho.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”