My MX-3 wont start!!! please help!!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Sprint

My MX-3 wont start!!! please help!!!

Post by Sprint »

Hi there, i have quite a problem!

My car has the 1.8 K8 V6 engine 1996

For a while when driving, every now and then when i got to junctions (had to stop) it would cut out, but start again easily. Then a couple of times when started from cold would misfire on warm-up. Then one evening on a run home it just cut out whilst cruising, it hadnt played up at all that day.

I have no ignition/spark or fuel pump and injector pulse, but it cranks normally.

Ive checked the resistance of the Ne2 crank angle sensor, it was fine, checked the wiring to it, also fine and replaced the distrubutor/coil unit. The spark plugs are fine, as are leads. If i bridge the Grnd/TEN terminals i get the fuel pump working but still no start. ???

If the ECU has any fault codes will a light show on the dash?

If anyone has any help or advice it would be much appreciated :)
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

seems like your ignitor has gone out in the distributor...i would do the hei mod and if that doesnt help replace the coil DO NOT BUY A NEW DISTY.. they are crap... just do the hei mod (around 26 dllrs) thats mostly the fault in our distys.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Sprint

Post by Sprint »

ok, what is the hei mod? cheers
twoie

Post by twoie »

look under the FAQ's it should be there.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Guess i got lucky with buying a new disty...been working for a long time now.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
JYOUNYA1

Post by JYOUNYA1 »

The same exact thing happen to me last month...to the "T"...at intersections it would cut off, then easily cut back on...then finally it just would not crank....I put a new disty in and it crunk right up.....GET CRUNK!!!!
93 MX-3 GS 1.8 Liter V6 Teal Mods: Pace (Maker) Setter Custom Catback/ Phantom Auto Meters: Voltage/ Water temp, Air/Fuel (in which not one gauge except voltage works) / Custom piece of s*** intake / 17" RacingHart Z5000 wrap in Khumos that are dry rotten / Altezza Tail lamps/ Custom Black interior (still in the works)/reverse indiglo gauges/ Push Button Starter/ Viper alarm with Proximity sensor/ Brembo slotted and dimpled rotors/ rear hatch shade/ Pioneer Premier DEH-840MP, ,2 custome fitted 6"inch pioneer door speakers, 1 Pioneer Premier 200 watt amp
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

I had a similar problem. Did the HEI mod it would start but had a bit of hesitations and then the car wouldn't start again. So i figured maybe its teh crap coil. Our cars have an internal coil and module and both are prone to failing.

My car sat for about month in my garage. Then I finally got around to adding an MSD blaster SS coil to my HEI setup. Charged the battery and it fired up and runs like a dream.

ps. You will notice with the stock distributor the car will crank like 2-3 times beafore it starts on cold days. Thats normal but with the external coil it will fire right up.

John
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Sprint

Post by Sprint »

Thanks read through that HEi mod, sounds good, only thing is i suspected the disty was at fault (ours too have an internal coil) so i HAVE replaced it with a reconditioned unit but the car still wont start, cranks over fine :(
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Sprint wrote:Thanks read through that HEi mod, sounds good, only thing is i suspected the disty was at fault (ours too have an internal coil) so i HAVE replaced it with a reconditioned unit but the car still wont start, cranks over fine :(
ok Have you checked if your getting spark? If you are check and see if your getting fuel. If you are getting fuel check the timing and make sure its correct. Also make sure your getting air which you should. check the VAF.

If you cranked it a bunch of time and its egtting fuel it will be flooded. Take the plugs out and clean them maybe drop a few drops of oil into the cylinders.

John
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Sprint

Post by Sprint »

I have no spark, no fuel pump, no injector pulse. But it cranks fine.
Just thought, what are the stock immoblisers like? :?
Would that create these symptoms?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”