clunking noise from under the front of the car

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
thetenents

clunking noise from under the front of the car

Post by thetenents »

hi there again.
i think i have located where the noise is coming from.as i dont know what things are called i may sound rediculous but here goes.
the bar that conects to both wheels,well right in the centre there is a piece that seems loose,is this a bearing of some sort.i wish i could explain better,something to do with the drive shaft maby,if this is loose could this cause a clunking sound.is this easy to replace.sorry i cant explain better.if anyone has any idea what im babbling on about it would be such a great help.
thanks to all.
dean.
twoie

Post by twoie »

are you talking about the axle? If so it should disapear into the transmission. Actually is two sep. shafts.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Id guess you are talking about the steering arms or the sway bar. A knockingsound can come from numerous points in the suspension, but my guess is that you need either new ball joints, sway bar links or tie rod ends. (the part that connects the steering arms to the steering knuckle)

Good luck with your diagnosis. You should get a Chilton's manual or look at the online manual on the front page of MX-3.com to tell us eactly what you are talking about.

Some other parts that can "clunk" when you are going over some sort of bump are the struts, strut mounts, axles sometimes, but usually they will click or clunk when you are turning or accelerating, a really bad axle will make noise all the time.

An alignment shop can tell you exactly what is wrong. Get a guarantee that they will properly diagnose the problem so that if they are wrong you won't have to pay labor twice to find out what is bumping.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
thetenents

Post by thetenents »

this is how bad i am,i dont really know what im talking about.my left wheel ,the axle i believe that turn it,meet in the middle with the from the driver side wheel,there is a section in the middle that seems loose and when tugged at makes a noise.could this be the fault im trying to find.im so sorry for being so vague.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”