Glass Headdlights

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Chemical

Post by Chemical »

Yes , I was thinking that myself but I know when you have a left hand drive car here I have seen a piece of opaque plastic film on the right headlight corner which I believe is to stop the glare since the lights are aimed for the opposite side of the road.Not all left hookers have this but some do. I think on some cars its actually the design in the glass itself- some have the lense ribbed in sections and then a clearer smooth corner section with the design of the left light being different to right hand one to stop the light casting its beam into the oncoming lane.
It would of course be possible to source lights from europe but what you guys ideally want are used ones which would be much cheaper. Still no word from the UK supplier here btw... I'll have a google at euro suppliers.
Chemical

update

Post by Chemical »

I've looked at my lenses and indeed the patterning on them is a problem for you guys. Bummer. Trawled through ebay and found some in germany- wants $160 euro for them- thats $195 US! Far too steep! Not much luck on finding a euro breakers either. I'll keep my eye out tho. Perhaps a continental member here might be able to help? I've posted on the german mx forum to see it they can help.
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

reaper of souls wrote:or just properly aim the lights!! if you aim the lights to compensate for the flare on the left side you wont have any problems trust me i drive with a screwed up aiming bracket on my drivers side and just compensated withe the right headlight it's all in the aiming
That is incorrect with regards to the non-DOT beam pattern of RHD vs. LHD cars. The upwards flare in the beam pattern is intended to light up roadside signage, and this flare happens near the curb side edge of the beam pattern - the rest has a sharp horizontal cutoff. Having the flare on the wrong side will throw a lot of light towards oncoming traffic. This will be a really poor illustration, but basically:
  • Euro LHD pattern = ----^

Euro RHD pattern = ^----

DOT (LHD) pattern = __^^_
No amount of re-aiming will resolve this issue without either compromising your overall lighting by having the lights (and therefore the horizontal cutoff across the rest of the beam) too low to light up the road effectively, or moving the beam too far to the curb side thus resulting in having very little light along the driver's side of the car.
DJPRO

Post by DJPRO »

You can also get glass headlights from Brazil and Argentina. But they are also expensive. These countries also drive the same side of the road as we do. So they good to go.
These headlights are worth it. They are a lot brighter and look better.

later,
dee
'92 MIATA
'93 MX-3 BPT
'08 CX-9 AWD GRAND TOURING
SIXPACK

Post by SIXPACK »

hey Dee,

nice to hear you like the headlights :wink:
Black '92 GS - Pacesetter QuickShift w. SRD Extension rod Bushing + bronzoil - Top Speed Pro1 exhaust - Hotshot style headers - GTS coilovers - 18" ADR Sokudo gunmetal, f+r strutbar, floorbar & SRD crossmember
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Set-up of the J-Spec/AU Spec/E-Spec is a little different than the NA Spec ones. Whether they're plastic or glass the mounting config and hardware is a bit different. NA Spec units have a fixed reflective lense hence the need for the exterior mounted metal brackets to provide for headlight adjusment/alignment. The other non NA Spec units have an adjustable reflective lense to provide for the alignments/adjustments. There's also the added bonus that the non NA Spec units utilize an H4 bulb allowing for greater bulb selection.
Last edited by jschrauwen on January 27th, 2006, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

Aston Wards wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
what? so your car is cross-eyed!
more or less ones aimed more downwards that the other and more to the center recently got some cheap fog lights to even things out
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
DJPRO

Post by DJPRO »

:wink:
'92 MIATA
'93 MX-3 BPT
'08 CX-9 AWD GRAND TOURING
Chemical

Post by Chemical »

Yup, German ones are expensive .. very, and not the numbers available according to our Deutshland MX'ers. Sorry folks but I did try. What about Mexico too, are they glass or plastic? Anyone know if the MX3 exists in numbers in any of these countrys?
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

I am pretty sure any MX-3's sold in Mexico were US-spec. I only saw one when I was down there, and it had the US front bumper (with the orange side markers/reflectors and no fog light holes) They have a weird mix of US and Euro/South American vehicles there...

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”