Going for my G test :S

A Forum For Ontario MX-3 Club Related Topics.
Slade

Going for my G test :S

Post by Slade »

Hey guys and gals, just have a quick question for ya.

I plan on going for my G road test soon and am takin the mx. Now everything is fine on my car except for a ball joint that im getting fixed soon and I have a Weapon R exhaust on it. Now on the mto website it says they can fail you if your car is anyway illegal yadda yadda. So my question is does any one think they will not pass me for my exhaust. Its not bad for driving in the city, but on the highway it can get loud, but if i can keep it about 100-110 then I am usually ok.

Also im planning on taking my test in Burlington instead of Hamilton, anyone have any hints or comments about this? Ive been driving on my G2 for 5 years now and think its time for my G. I have been driving highway all of these years, and commuted from Brighton-Hamilton everyweekend for a year(roughly 230km one way) so I think im safe with the higway portion, just gotta get use to two hand driving and shifting now lol.

Thanks,
Jerremy
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

I passed my G test in Burlington..... it was freakin easy, lasted about 5 minutes...... basically got on the highway, off the first exit and back to the inspection station... you shouldnt go over the limit at all, not even 105

good luck !
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Going for my G test :S

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Slade wrote:So my question is does any one think they will not pass me for my exhaust. Its not bad for driving in the city, but on the highway it can get loud, but if i can keep it about 100-110 then I am usually ok.
Well, their not mechanics, so they can't really tell you if it's illegal or not. However, i believe non-stock exausts aren't legal, so I guess the only way to see is to try. Besides, i wouldn't recommend going any more than 105 on the highway. They don't care if the traffic is flowing faster than that or not, it's no excuse to them. Following the laws is part of the tests.
Slade wrote: Ive been driving on my G2 for 5 years now and think its time for my G. I have been driving highway all of these years, and commuted from Brighton-Hamilton everyweekend for a year(roughly 230km one way) so I think im safe with the higway portion, just gotta get use to two hand driving and shifting now lol.
I dont see how its possible, techincally you have 5 years from the day you get your G1 to get your G, once it expires, you need to start from scratch again. Ideally I would recommend taking an auto to the test. I've heard they are really picky about your shifts, and gearing/neutral at stops and stuff, it's just an extra thing to get worried about. One recommendation, check your mirrors often and exagerate when you do, like turn your head. Even if you feel like an idiot, you need to show them you are looking , they can't see/follow your eyes.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

JWMX3 wrote:I passed my G test in Burlington..... it was freakin easy, lasted about 5 minutes...... basically got on the highway, off the first exit and back to the inspection station... you shouldnt go over the limit at all, not even 105

good luck !
Inspection station? They never inspected the 626 when I went to take the test. My G2, I used the Aapex driving school car
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Did my test in Burlington too (hometown) ..... many moons ago. Failed first time out .... drove too slow. No comments Brandon!!! Strange, cause I had my motorcycle's licence for 3 years before that. I did it at the Aldershot facility. g/l
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
kp2t

Post by kp2t »

John always drives too slow LOL

Passed all my tests first try, when I took my G test, the chick told me I need to check my mirrors more often, but other than that I drove great...

Just take it easy, obey the rules, bring a can of Pepsi, and u should be alright!!
ImageImageImageImageImage
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

kp2t wrote:John always drives too slow LOL
:rant2:
kp2t wrote:Just take it easy, obey the rules, and u should be alright!!
:2thumbsup:
kp2t wrote: bring a can of Pepsi,
Drop the Pepsi and any other possible distractions - cell phone - turn it off, radio - turn off etc, you could be dinged for introducing extra distractions.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

i'd recommend an auto as well though....with a standard you're not allowed to shift when you turn, so where you would normally shif into second at a stoplight turning left, you'll havta keep reving it until you're going straight again.
i'm sure you know someone who's got an auto you could borrow for half an hr.

and don't speed at all....even coasting down hill....make sure u apply brake if needed. (but don't b john either) :P
Slade

Post by Slade »

Thanks for all the input guys, all of it will help, yeah I would prefer an auto but I don't know anyone around here with one, so I will do with my mx.

I always see everyone buggin John about his driving speed, personally if my car looked as good as his, I would be going slow on purpose to let everyone gawk at it :D
mymx.3
Supporting Member

Post by mymx.3 »

they must be strick ... I don't remember them being that way with me :mrgreen:

I must have been perfect ........ hehehehehe ......... I knew how to drive 4-speed at age 12

Good luck!

DEB
New owner of a "2008 Tiburon GT"
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

What's a 4-speed ;)

Lol, when i first drove standard was when I test drove my Mx-3

You and John didn't have to go though the 3-step graduate licensing system. Like my parents did, you could get your beginners, then go out and get your full license the next day. I have a friend who's 28 and he just squeezed by getting his license on the old system. I didn't mind it, I passed first shot every time :) I took driving school just to make sure.
Slade wrote:I always see everyone buggin John about his driving speed, personally if my car looked as good as his, I would be going slow on purpose to let everyone gawk at it :D
That would make sence if he had an RS, but the guy has a ZE, and soon to be supercharged ZE. Sure, I'm not suggesting to constantly break the speed limit, but you'd think with having some power, you'd see him push it once in a while. However, I do remember one time were John was moving pretty good onthe 401. I dont remember where we were coming from but I was impressed, but I'll never forget being stuck behind him at Ottawa
mymx.3
Supporting Member

Post by mymx.3 »

I followed John once ... we were coming up for a meet ..

A prelude whipped past us ... and he didn't do anything

so eventually .. lol .. he took off ........ I was surprised how quick his car is ... .... but I don't think he caught up with the prelude .... hehehehehehe .....

It's ok John to be slow :wink:

DEB
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

I think if we keep bugging John about how slow he drives...he might finally crack and drive all insane.
Friends are just enemies who lack the testicular fortitude to kill you.

I'm a 2min man in a 1min universe

94 GS - KLZE, Spec2 Clutch, Fidanza 9lbs FW, 2 1/4 full magnaflow exhaust. 145WHP / 147WTQ
mymx.3
Supporting Member

Post by mymx.3 »

When a bunch of us are together he hangs back ... I guess incase anyone has trouble with their car ... I'm just assuming this

I guess he could lead if he wanted to ... he's kind of "a-- backwards" :laugh:

Imagine being called "Pokey" ........ that's what he calls me :(

DEB :wink:
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:What's a 4-speed ;)
hey, my mom has a '73 roadster that's only 4 spd....my dad always sed going from the truck to the MG, he always forgot and shifted back into 3rd by accident. reverse is on the opposite side too, beside 2nd.
Selecta wrote:I think if we keep bugging John about how slow he drives...he might finally crack and drive all insane.
and you know that as soon as he does, there'll b a cop around the corner and he'll get nailled :)

Return to “Ontario MX-3 Club”