Thinking of doing the HEI

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Nitsua16

Thinking of doing the HEI

Post by Nitsua16 »

Alright, I did all the tests that I was suggested to do and have come to the conclusion that it is indeed my distributor that is shot. I've also waited and seen if anything else would be said on my thread and done some searching on here on my own and nothing really seems recent and the links I try for parts don't really work. Anyhow, all I'm really wondering are two things:

1) How I can tell what part of the distributor has gone bad to know how far I need to go with the mod (from what I read there is the basic and then there is going all out with the coil and everything).

2) The best place to order/buy everything I would need to do this conversion as simply as possible. I don't really care about price too much, just quality and what you all know to work and trust. A site and a few names would be very welcome indeed.

I'd like to thank in advance everyone who has taken the time to look at this and my other post and apologize if I'm seeming pushy or annoying... I'm just excited at this chance to actually do something for my car and anxious to get back to driving so I can stop bumming rides.

Also, I'd like to let you know that I've looked over the faqs and tried doing internet searches for the main parts mentioned and couldn't find anything (the HEI module itself). Looked one place that actually gave me something and it showed $189 and I know that isn't right.
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

1) How I can tell what part of the distributor has gone bad to know how far I need to go with the mod (from what I read there is the basic and then there is going all out with the coil and everything).
Well the 2 main things that go out are the "ignitor" and the "coil". If your doing any kinda re-wireing just do it for both.
2) The best place to order/buy everything I would need to do this conversion as simply as possible. I don't really care about price too much, just quality and what you all know to work and trust. A site and a few names would be very welcome indeed.
I would say get a Modified Ditributor cap from PRD, its only ~$45 and you just put it on, no need to tap and ish.

A ignitor can be had at your local autoparts store, and the write up is on here....all that would be left would be to do it.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

intead of getting the prd cap.YOu can get a KLZE distributor and run the HEI wikth an external coil.
The wiring is pretty simple and you can get a whole klze disty for $40 if you look on probetalk

JOhn
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
LooseChangeRacing

Post by LooseChangeRacing »

tell me how these help

these are curtesy of timpronk, uploaded to my ftp site (good idea about the site no?)

I do believe this would help with what you guys are talking about?
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2385931/4
Car Name - Elsie (LC)
Car Type - 92 Black RS Stock 190k
Car Name - (yet to be decided)
Car Type - 93 (soon Black) GS KLZE 130k
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hmm i wouldnt do the coil until you do the hei first ..the hei takes a little over 20 mins to do and no need to drill holes. test the coil for resistance.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

i have 2 KLZE disty if anyone is looking.

I might use one eventually.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
Nitsua16

Post by Nitsua16 »

Yeah, those pictures should be of help. Really detailed look at the wiring.

All I'm wondering is, does getting a modified cap make the HEI mod easier and cleaner? I know where to get the HEI from looking on the forums, but even though the cap has been mentioned no one has said what part of the instructions does placing the new cap replace or if it would take doing something entirely different to do it that way. I don't have my next day off until Friday so I have a lot of time until then to get this straightened out before getting anything.

Sorry about all the questions, I just want it to go well and make sure I get the right componenets to make it work.

Edit: I'm deciding to go with the write-up done by MX3 GSR for dummies since it's clearer what you need to do in his than in Gro's diagrams. Couldn't see what step getting a better cap would replace in that though... his way can be found here: http://mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t= ... hlight=hei
mazdaspeedmx_3

Post by mazdaspeedmx_3 »

hey could you guys email those wiring diagrams i've had this kf34 distributor for almost a year and i still can't use it :evil:
mazdaspeedmx_3@hotmail.com
mazdaspeedmx_3

Post by mazdaspeedmx_3 »

sorry that was the wrong page

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”