ehgine won't turn over

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
twoie

ehgine won't turn over

Post by twoie »

1992 gs automatic and I replaced the blown motor with a 1993 K8 motor. The installation went fairly well. Now everything electrical works, but the motor won't turn over. The starter bench tests ok. Bat has 11.4 volts without load and not much of a drop under load. Starter terminals drop to 9.8 volts under load, but are 11.4 volts before load. No codes are pulled in diagnostic mode. However, the cel stays on when not in diagnostic mode.

any help or suggestions?

Thanks,
Keith
shawno

Post by shawno »

Hey yeah that happens to me once a while. When you turn the key does the engine just click. Mine was that ground wire on the started would get gumed up and lose concection.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

si it not turning at all?? or just really really slowly?

your voltages seem low try putting a bat charger on it for a while.

Bochek
twoie

Post by twoie »

nothing at all. I do get a click under the dash, but nothing at the motor. Where is the switch or relay for the starter as it relates to the automatic trans. The one that will only allow it to start in park.

thanks,

keith
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

May I recommend a process of elimination by using the online shop manual starting in Section G. In there, there is a trouble shooting guide that will take you through step by step and gives reference to other sections in the manual for specific tests/confirmations. This way you may save some time and prevent chasing your tail. FWIW, a well charged battery in good condition should give you well more than 11.4 volts with no load. That would be the first confirmation followed by the starter and so on...
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I bet money it's a bad ground, or one you forgot to rehook up.
twoie

Post by twoie »

update.

Lakersfan: I forgot a ground at the passanger side motor mount. Thank you.

Jschrauwen: Turned out to be a weak battery preventing it from turning over.

Now it turns over but doesn't start. Seems to be getting good spark. I don't think I here my fuel pump. Oh well i'll continue down through the trouble shooting.

keith
twoie

Post by twoie »

well it's not the fuel pump. When I jump the grd with the f/p ( as the manual says ) I can hear the pump run. Next I will try to check the fuel pressure to see if thats the problem. Unless there are any ideas amonst the brain trust on here?
twoie

Post by twoie »

well like a dumd a-- I had the fuel lines crossed at the rail.. All is good now.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

twoie wrote:well like a dumd a-- I had the fuel lines crossed at the rail.. All is good now.
:2thumbsup: You gotta like that online manual, sure saves a lot of frustrating times.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”