Door poppers for shaved handles

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
JYOUNYA1

Door poppers for shaved handles

Post by JYOUNYA1 »

Does anyone know how many pounds our mx-3's would need on a shaved door handle popper solenoid thingy?
93 MX-3 GS 1.8 Liter V6 Teal Mods: Pace (Maker) Setter Custom Catback/ Phantom Auto Meters: Voltage/ Water temp, Air/Fuel (in which not one gauge except voltage works) / Custom piece of s*** intake / 17" RacingHart Z5000 wrap in Khumos that are dry rotten / Altezza Tail lamps/ Custom Black interior (still in the works)/reverse indiglo gauges/ Push Button Starter/ Viper alarm with Proximity sensor/ Brembo slotted and dimpled rotors/ rear hatch shade/ Pioneer Premier DEH-840MP, ,2 custome fitted 6"inch pioneer door speakers, 1 Pioneer Premier 200 watt amp
93_4Banger

Post by 93_4Banger »

i have 50 lb of just pull with stock poppers and it worked.
rsroadkilla

Post by rsroadkilla »

20lb would do it, but after a year or so you would need to replace them!

Im using a 40lb kit, and this is plenty enough for our doors! :)

Hope this helps! :)
LooseChangeRacing

Post by LooseChangeRacing »

best reccomendation after doing this nice little upgrade to quite a few cars...do not get less then 35lb's and try to get a more name brand, yes you will pay more, but i've had some bad experiences with friends getting the ebay ones and going out within a few months...personally i like leaving the existing door handle, so that if for some reason they go out you can still open the door....
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2385931/4
Car Name - Elsie (LC)
Car Type - 92 Black RS Stock 190k
Car Name - (yet to be decided)
Car Type - 93 (soon Black) GS KLZE 130k
JYOUNYA1

Post by JYOUNYA1 »

Can't you like installl like a saftey door unlock mechanism? I have heard of something like a door release pull switch or button?
93 MX-3 GS 1.8 Liter V6 Teal Mods: Pace (Maker) Setter Custom Catback/ Phantom Auto Meters: Voltage/ Water temp, Air/Fuel (in which not one gauge except voltage works) / Custom piece of s*** intake / 17" RacingHart Z5000 wrap in Khumos that are dry rotten / Altezza Tail lamps/ Custom Black interior (still in the works)/reverse indiglo gauges/ Push Button Starter/ Viper alarm with Proximity sensor/ Brembo slotted and dimpled rotors/ rear hatch shade/ Pioneer Premier DEH-840MP, ,2 custome fitted 6"inch pioneer door speakers, 1 Pioneer Premier 200 watt amp
rsroadkilla

Post by rsroadkilla »

if your removing the handles, your be removing the locks aswell, so you will need remote central locking!

All you have to do for a piece of mind is wire the boot to the key fob, so you have remote boot pop too. Like most jap cars the mx3 already has the device, so you should be abke to do it for about £40!!!
patdesign

Post by patdesign »

What is a door popper?
rsroadkilla

Post by rsroadkilla »

when you have your door handles skimmed, you need something to pop the door open so you can get in. usually its a button underneath the side mirror. When you press it the door pops open about 2'' so you can get your fingers behind the door and pull it open! :)
JYOUNYA1

Post by JYOUNYA1 »

Cool, i am looking into doing this within the next 2 months...so you say once the handles are taken off the locks come with it...does this make the door easy to pry open, if someone wanted to break in? And where exactly would the popper go. This actually would be a good FAQ/DYI...if someone has done this and can explain the process to us all this could help a person out alot.
ooELMOoo

Post by ooELMOoo »

IF your doors dont pop:P...they inventeted a trunk for more than one reason :roll:
----------------
| CUSTOM X3|
----------------
Shades

Post by Shades »

... and if one door opens, you always have the other side! LoL

I don't see the safety button as a good thing... just call it easy access for a car thief.

But when I do my body, I wanna shave 'em... looks so much better.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
J0HN_R1

Post by J0HN_R1 »

:arrow: "SHAVING DOORHANDLES" is a process that involves removing the entire factory (plastic) doorhandles from the door and covering the hole by welding in a paice of sheetmetal that was cut to the same size as the hole left by the handle. This then requires an electronic device called a SOLENOID (a little box/tube with an electric current between 2 magnets to force them apart quickly and with great force, depending on rating) to release the latch that would normally open the door when you pull up on the factory handle. It latches again when you close the door, like normal...

:wink:

*it's kinda cool, but I dont think I'd ever do it for the simple fact of Murphys' Law...When I really needed them to work they wouldnt... And for some reason my key doesnt work the trunk lock... Doh...!

:|
When this thing hits 88mph, you're gonna see some serious TIHS...!
rsroadkilla

Post by rsroadkilla »

I've just had mine done. Next time im at the bodyshop i'l take some pics!

As for safety, some thievin scum tried to break into my mates 220 coupe., He has no handles, and they couldnt get in!

I'd say here in thr uk, 8/10 scummy thieves put a screw driver in the lock and go in that way. Its just a big theft detterent, and to be honest most eople will never notice the popper under the mirror anyways! They sit flush with the bottom!
Also handy if you have a problme with car jackers! Confuses em! lol

The only thing were finding difficult is where to mount the popper, as there isnt much room in the stock mirrors. Thinking im going to have to get some aftermarket mirrors and modify some base plates!

I'l post some pics up within the next week!
LooseChangeRacing

Post by LooseChangeRacing »

i hope your going remote and just making a backup popper, becuase if your making a back-up popper, do somewhere alot more hidden then under the mirror...heck inside the front bumper or something, thats why you have remote's...lol....back-ups should hopefully never have to be used....
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2385931/4
Car Name - Elsie (LC)
Car Type - 92 Black RS Stock 190k
Car Name - (yet to be decided)
Car Type - 93 (soon Black) GS KLZE 130k
rsroadkilla

Post by rsroadkilla »

even if thieves were to pull the entry button out, its not a case of touching two wires together and your in.....

At the end of the day, the car will still be locked. So it will be like tryin to open your handle when the car is still locked. The handle moves but you cant get in.....

With the poppers, there is no way they can get in. As long as you have locked the car that is!!!

Return to “Appearance”