Help: Alternator?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
93emeraldGS

Help: Alternator?

Post by 93emeraldGS »

i've gone through 2 New batteries, and i've only started the car about 3 times each time(with the new battery) and each time after that the battery is dead and the car won't start...but once the battery is replaced it starts perfect...would that be the alternator or?
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

when you start the car do you drive around with it like that, or just start it? It does sound like its your alternator. If it is, your 'charge' light should be on in the car...is it?
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

relisys_3200 wrote:when you start the car do you drive around with it like that, or just start it? It does sound like its your alternator. If it is, your 'charge' light should be on in the car...is it?
If he wasn't driving around with it like that, and just starting the car and turn it off, I'd hope he could start the car 50 or 60 times before the battery died. If the alternator's broke, and you drive around like that for a while, then all the distributor and other electrical current is slowly draining your battery, with no alternator to recahrge it.
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

lakersfan1 wrote:
relisys_3200 wrote:when you start the car do you drive around with it like that, or just start it? It does sound like its your alternator. If it is, your 'charge' light should be on in the car...is it?
If he wasn't driving around with it like that, and just starting the car and turn it off, I'd hope he could start the car 50 or 60 times before the battery died. If the alternator's broke, and you drive around like that for a while, then all the distributor and other electrical current is slowly draining your battery, with no alternator to recahrge it.
^^ I know thats what I'm saying. When I got my orbital purple haze battery my alternator was also getting re-done and they said the battery would give about 10 hours of use without any charging system. I'm asking if he was driving around with it like that because I dont know why anyone would if their charge light was on the whole time or flickering :shrug:
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
93emeraldGS

Post by 93emeraldGS »

sorry for the late reply but yes i did drive it around each time i started it...just drove it just around a block no more..so say about a 2min drive give or take....can the alternator kill the battery that quick?...as for the "charge" light...there is no lights on the dash of any errors that came on while i was driving or atleast i didnt noticed any(besides i didnt know there was a charge light) hehe

and thx for the feedback appreciate it
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Can you start it up and put a voltmeter on the battery and let us know what the readings are? Hold it about 1500 rpm and we'll have a much better idea.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
93emeraldGS

Post by 93emeraldGS »

Grants wrote:Can you start it up and put a voltmeter on the battery and let us know what the readings are? Hold it about 1500 rpm and we'll have a much better idea.
umm i dont have a voltmeter...is there any other suggestions? ..i just picked up my new battery again for the 3 time and they wont warrant me any more cause they feel its my car(alternator maybe)...what can cause a new battery to die so quick? besides alternator?...or is it only the alternator that can kill a battery?...i know i didnt leave the head lights on so lets rule that out..hehe
93emeraldGS

Post by 93emeraldGS »

sorry been away too long and still have the problem as stated anyone with any more suggestions

thx

:?
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

It's either the alternator or bad grounds for the block or battery or both.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

When I changed my battery, i had this habbit of not connecting the terminals properly, it would start and run the car, but it wouldn't recharge. Of course I didn't get a charge light cause the alternator was working fine, it just wasn't giving power to the battery. I had enough for a few cranks and that was it.

Here are my thoughts
- If it was the alternator that was defective, the charge light on the dash would, er *should* be on.
- As grant suggested, do a volt meter test. Put the leads on the battery terminals (don't touch the conections, just the battery terminals) and you should get about 13-14v. That will indicate if it's charging or not
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

well if its not alternator it could be a voltage regualator if its not built in the alternator, if its not that then maybe u have the problem i had with my stanza its VERY rare and i highly doubt it but maybe the wiring in your car is crap mine crapped out, wires were defective replaced them all and car ran beautifully all the way up until it died on a busy street and got towed lol
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
MOSES

Post by MOSES »

our altenators have the regulaters built in.
if you can, start the car and quickly drive it to the shop, get them to do a "load test" on the electrical system while the car is running, they will be able to tell you exaclty whats wrong, they wont charge you much, and the problem WILL be diagnosed.
93emeraldGS

Post by 93emeraldGS »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:When I changed my battery, i had this habbit of not connecting the terminals properly, it would start and run the car, but it wouldn't recharge. Of course I didn't get a charge light cause the alternator was working fine, it just wasn't giving power to the battery. I had enough for a few cranks and that was it.

Here are my thoughts
- If it was the alternator that was defective, the charge light on the dash would, er *should* be on.
- As grant suggested, do a volt meter test. Put the leads on the battery terminals (don't touch the conections, just the battery terminals) and you should get about 13-14v. That will indicate if it's charging or not
so if it reads 13-14 that is a good sign or?

thx again for the help
93emeraldGS

Post by 93emeraldGS »

lakersfan1 wrote:It's either the alternator or bad grounds for the block or battery or both.
how can i tell if those are the simptoms?

thx again
93emeraldGS

Post by 93emeraldGS »

MOSES wrote:our altenators have the regulaters built in.
if you can, start the car and quickly drive it to the shop, get them to do a "load test" on the electrical system while the car is running, they will be able to tell you exaclty whats wrong, they wont charge you much, and the problem WILL be diagnosed.
so if i get a chance to drive to the shop get them to do a "load test" and that could give me the answers to my prayers?

appreicate ur help

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”