Brake Drums and disc brakes

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
lhskid06

Brake Drums and disc brakes

Post by lhskid06 »

I was just wondering because in the near future I will be doing a brake system overhaul if there is anyway to convert from brake drums in the rear to disc brakes in the rear. I would also know if maybe that would help braking performance or if it would not be practical at all.

Thank You
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

yes you will have a little bit better braking since drum brakes fade faster than disc brakes.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
lhskid06

Post by lhskid06 »

are there any companies that sell kits to replace the drum brakes with disc brakes for the mx-3?
93_4Banger

Post by 93_4Banger »

not that i know of i would convert to GS Rear Sub Frame search for rear disc conversion and you'll find some info
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

The rear GS disc conversion to the RS has been done by a number of members here. There is, as 93 4banger has said, info available through the search menu. g/l
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
jaydog5678

Re: Brake Drums and disc brakes

Post by jaydog5678 »

lhskid06 wrote:I was just wondering because in the near future I will be doing a brake system overhaul if there is anyway to convert from brake drums in the rear to disc brakes in the rear. I would also know if maybe that would help braking performance or if it would not be practical at all.

Thank You
Look here. This should give you an idea.

http://atlantamx3.com/mocaforum/viewfor ... 4c7ad4c9bc
nolig2278

Post by nolig2278 »

I have done the swap but not everything.

I swapped the rear subframe and nothing else. I did not swap the master cylinder or the proportioning valve.

My brakes do work and this has been ok for a few years, but since I have changed my 2 front calipers I am noticing that I can't really lock up the breaks. The car stops well but if I had to fully stop my tires at any significant speed I could not.

Suggestions? Do I just need to really bleed the system?
94 RS to BPT
2.5 FMIC
MicroSquirt
2.5 Exhaust
[url=https://gilon.levinsonltd.com/mx-3.html[/url]
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

If you haven't bled the brakes after the calipers, then your car won't stop like it should. When it's been properly bled, you should be able to notice the brake pedal being firm and not spongy feeling. Try switching front brake pads to a high quality pad. I've been using Hawk pads and have not used anything else ever since. It brakes exactly to my expectations.
nolig2278

Post by nolig2278 »

I have used green pads for years s that is not the problem.
Might be that I am using original master cylinder and proportioning valve but I will try to bleed all brakes again first.
94 RS to BPT
2.5 FMIC
MicroSquirt
2.5 Exhaust
[url=https://gilon.levinsonltd.com/mx-3.html[/url]

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”