Changing CV Joints, anyone got advice?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
yvan

Post by yvan »

a what seal? :? an axle seal... lol say that to the parts guy and you'll get them scratching their head. trust me on this. what you're looking for is call the inner shaft seal.. driver or passenger.. btw i would recommend you buying brand spanking new c-v shaft fromt the dealer.. reason why? do a search on this.. it'll save you time and headache.. everyone thats done a cv shaft job on their mx should know this.. simply an easy job to diy
93' blue mx-3, klze curve neck, kl36ecu, all the upgrade possible/out turbo.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

yvan wrote:a what seal? :? an axle seal... lol say that to the parts guy and you'll get them scratching their head. trust me on this. what you're looking for is call the inner shaft seal.. driver or passenger.. btw i would recommend you buying brand spanking new c-v shaft fromt the dealer.. reason why? do a search on this.. it'll save you time and headache.. everyone thats done a cv shaft job on their mx should know this.. simply an easy job to diy
Yeah, I know why
rebuilt CV joints may be super cheap but break so easily
Since I plan on doing a tranny swap next year, I might as well go with another... thats right, my Mx3's 3rd rebuilt CV Joint
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Since I plan on doing a tranny swap next year, I might as well go with another... thats right, my Mx3's 3rd rebuilt CV Joint
Be very careful when ordering your axles or CV joints.. I have seen many fail on this board including the one Gro Harlem got from Autozone that sheared in half. I have heard that axles can be specific to the year of the car as well as the transmission type. So going through the mazda dealer might be a pretty good idea even if their prices are outrageous.. at the very least.. get a part # from them for your car so you can cross reference the part # at the parts store. Or better yet.. buy your axles from a place that specializes in CV joints & Axles.. Drivelines Northwest is such a place. They are local to me.. but probably can ship anywhere. I dont have their contact information, but I am sure a google search will turn them up. My brother used to work there a long time ago.. but dont worry.. he doesnt work there any longer ;) Otherwise I wouldnt buy from them either LOL. Anyway.. hope this helps.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Tunes67 wrote:
Be very careful when ordering your axles or CV joints.. I have seen many fail on this board including the one Gro Harlem got from Autozone that sheared in half. I have heard that axles can be specific to the year of the car as well as the transmission type. So going through the mazda dealer might be a pretty good idea even if their prices are outrageous.. at the very least.. get a part # from them for your car so you can cross reference the part # at the parts store. Or better yet.. buy your axles from a place that specializes in CV joints & Axles.. Drivelines Northwest is such a place. They are local to me.. but probably can ship anywhere. I dont have their contact information, but I am sure a google search will turn them up. My brother used to work there a long time ago.. but dont worry.. he doesnt work there any longer ;) Otherwise I wouldnt buy from them either LOL. Anyway.. hope this helps.
Tunes67
LOL
Anyway, thanks for the advice but I found a place down here called Boyds. I know someone who works there.
He can get me a disscount and this is the same place I got my last 2 CVs about 4 years ago
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I got a small update
AutoZone rules
I went to buy a brand new CV Joint for about $110
It should come in the 28th
However, once it comes in and we get comfirmation that its the right type of CV Joint, I can "resell" my old CV Joint. In the end, this will cost me $60. Also, i will have a lifetime warranty on this.
Something goes wrong with it, I get a new one

AutoZone rules, other places gave me crap. Espically Boyds Import Parts. I bought the CV Joint from them w/ a lifetime warrant and they wouldnt give me a new one to replace it. They can go f--- themselves
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”