Clutch Problems

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
cb mx3

Clutch Problems

Post by cb mx3 »

Driving last night suddenly my clutch drops to the floor as im shifting to first at a stop sign. Go to pull away and it stalls. Then I can't put the car in gear so I push the clutch really hard and it's in neutral and I put it in first but the clutch won't come out, it's stuck engaged. I've been told about problems with cables, and also that I may need fluid? or air in the system.

First what type of clutch do we have...cable or hydraulic

second do any of the problems above sound right

or third..is my clutch gone
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

I would check for leaks around the master and slave.
jimishadow

Post by jimishadow »

no cable for clutch they are hydrolic.sounds like master or slave trouble unless your clutch is so worn the slave cly fell apart
cb mx3

Post by cb mx3 »

where is the slave cyl at. I don't have alot of car knowledge but i try. Ive heard from a few ppl now that it sounds like im out of fluid, got a leak in the hose and air is in there or the slave cyl itself is shot
SnoSurferr

Post by SnoSurferr »

Your fluid for your clutch is the same as your brake fluid... If there was air in the system it would affect your brakeing too. Sound like you might have a clutch problem , How old is the clutch ?
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

If it were the clutch master cyl. you would see a puddle of brake fluid on the floor in side the car. If the seal of the slave went you would have notices a change in pedal pressure over several shifts before it got to the point you disscribed. The most common problem is with the lines for the fluid under the battery. The flexible hose tends to fail at the fitting and rubber hose or in parts of Canada were road salt is used heavily in the winter the steel line between the flex hose and slave cyl on the tranny will rust through. The best way to stop this problem is to look at the brake fluid reservoir If the level is really low chance are this is the problem. It you top up the fluid and pump the pedel you should see fluid on the ground. If it is none of the above does the tranny go into gear when the engine is not running? A bit unusual but not uncommon is for the throw out fork or the pivot ball for the fork to break. If this is the case the only choice is to drop the tranny and replace the parts. Unless things have changed these parts are not stocked by Mazda and would have to come from Japan which could mean up to 5 business days to get the part.
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

Yoda wrote:If it were the clutch master cyl. you would see a puddle of brake fluid on the floor in side the car. If the seal of the slave went you would have notices a change in pedal pressure over several shifts before it got to the point you disscribed. The most common problem is with the lines for the fluid under the battery. The flexible hose tends to fail at the fitting and rubber hose or in parts of Canada were road salt is used heavily in the winter the steel line between the flex hose and slave cyl on the tranny will rust through. The best way to stop this problem is to look at the brake fluid reservoir If the level is really low chance are this is the problem. It you top up the fluid and pump the pedel you should see fluid on the ground. If it is none of the above does the tranny go into gear when the engine is not running? A bit unusual but not uncommon is for the throw out fork or the pivot ball for the fork to break. If this is the case the only choice is to drop the tranny and replace the parts. Unless things have changed these parts are not stocked by Mazda and would have to come from Japan which could mean up to 5 business days to get the part.
Agreed.

Something else, when I had a s-10 the slave cylinder seized up and blew a seal meaning it no longer drove the pitch fork but I never seen any fluid because it was leaking into the inspection plate area which had a gasket =(
Focal

Post by Focal »

one question are you able to start the car but not put it in any gear?
cb mx3

Post by cb mx3 »

i can start the car perfectly but no luck getting it in gear.
also i found the master cylinder but where is the slave cylinder
jimishadow

Post by jimishadow »

look down by tranny/engine mount near radiator and follow the line coming across top of tranny down to cylinder,
cb mx3

Post by cb mx3 »

i was lookin at the online manual and believe i have everything under control. ill let yas know how it goes. thanks everyone
Focal

Post by Focal »

well this coul dbe unrelated but the same thing happened to me in my 96 626 last summer. I went to the bank and parked my car and when i came out and started it the clutch felt really funny like it was super loose. Anyways i could'nt get the car in any gear but i could start the car. And it turned out to be just a clutch hose that was worn out and all my fluid had slowly leaked out. It cost like 30 bucks if i remember correctly from the dealer. I would just take a look at this for wear could be a simple problem rather than start a costly repair.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”