1st time noob questions

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
protegetuner

1st time noob questions

Post by protegetuner »

I own a 93 protege that I'm about to drop a mx3 V-6 in. I was wanting some info on the klze. as far as maintanance is conserned, can i use everything from the mx6 V-6 engine(timing belt,water pump,distributor,ect.). what parts are not interchangable. any info or links would help me greatly.thanks.
93 Protege lx,familia garnish,act clutch,port match intake/exaust manifolds,b&m short shifter,mx3 seats,rear lower tie bar and rear console, header,2 1/4 in exaust,catco high flow cat,rx7 mafs, cone filter,toga high volume oil pump,sr struts,b&g springs,zx2 hyper flex kit, 16in ssw wheels,Soon to be v6 powered

Yes, I will own a KLZE protege within the next 2 years. ZOOM ZOOM
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Wait, why would you want a MX3 V6 engine?
Our stock engines are not KLZEs or even KLDEs :(
Their K8s :? :cry:
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

LOL! DO NOT drop a 130 HP V-6 into that car.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

he did mention klze but isnt it better to drop a bpt?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
protegetuner

Post by protegetuner »

I'm dropping the k8 in there as a mock up. I will run that until i can get the KLZE.
93 Protege lx,familia garnish,act clutch,port match intake/exaust manifolds,b&m short shifter,mx3 seats,rear lower tie bar and rear console, header,2 1/4 in exaust,catco high flow cat,rx7 mafs, cone filter,toga high volume oil pump,sr struts,b&g springs,zx2 hyper flex kit, 16in ssw wheels,Soon to be v6 powered

protegetuner

Post by protegetuner »

hgallegos915 wrote:he did mention klze but isnt it better to drop a bpt?
thought about that. but i want something different.

93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

The K8 is not worth the money it costs to buy or the material its made of.
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

93_mx3_gs wrote:The K8 is not worth the money it costs to buy or the material its made of.
did you even read what he said?
protegetuner wrote:I'm dropping the k8 in there as a mock up. I will run that until i can get the KLZE.
Its going to cost him an extra $100 maybe for the k8......then he has the platform for the ze
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

Ok.

The protege, is the same as the familia im using here, as long as yours
is a BG chassis, if its a BF your screwed.

You will need the mx3 lower front subframe as this bolts straight to
mount the KLZE or K8.

Depending on what loom is in the protege, you might want a complete
loom from a mx3 if your not wanting to run a aftermarket ECU

though on a personal note a aftermarket ECU is worth it PERIOD!

A probe gearbox or a mannual KLZE gearbox is a desired item as it
hasa taller final drive else gather a few "G" serise boxes up and make
what you want up.

Depending on what you want to do IE dragrace, you need to do a
HELL of a lot of work to stop parts breaking when you start making a
lot of HP!
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
protegetuner

Post by protegetuner »

kiwi_MX3 wrote:Ok.

The protege, is the same as the familia im using here, as long as yours
is a BG chassis, if its a BF your screwed.

You will need the mx3 lower front subframe as this bolts straight to
mount the KLZE or K8.

Depending on what loom is in the protege, you might want a complete
loom from a mx3 if your not wanting to run a aftermarket ECU

though on a personal note a aftermarket ECU is worth it PERIOD!

A probe gearbox or a mannual KLZE gearbox is a desired item as it
hasa taller final drive else gather a few "G" serise boxes up and make
what you want up.

Depending on what you want to do IE dragrace, you need to do a
HELL of a lot of work to stop parts breaking when you start making a
lot of HP!
thanks for the info.I'm getting a mx3 v6 whole car and will be sitting both cars side by side.I belong to clubprotege.com and there are a few people on there that have done this swap. so I know that the engine will go in there with no problem(except rad. fan). this car will be a daily driver.I would have done the bpt swap but i want reliability without breaking the bank.plus i like the tone of the mx6 engine. my question for everyone was about maintaining the klze. regular maitinance like timing belts,distributor car,rotor,plugs,oil filter,water pump,oil pump,basicaly i want to know what parts i would have to order for the klze that i couldnt order from a mx6 v6.whats not interchangable.

protegetuner

Post by protegetuner »

or should i just get a mx6 or probe parts car. and get the things off the mx3 from a junk yard.

lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

protegetuner wrote:what parts i would have to order for the klze that i couldnt order from a mx6 v6.whats not interchangable.
None. Every single solitary part that might break on a KLZE is a direct swap with KLDE parts. Every single bolt hole on the KLZE is the same as a KLDE is the same as a K8. Timing crap, cams, head bolts ...... ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL swappable.
protegetuner

Post by protegetuner »

lakersfan1 wrote:
protegetuner wrote:what parts i would have to order for the klze that i couldnt order from a mx6 v6.whats not interchangable.
None. Every single solitary part that might break on a KLZE is a direct swap with KLDE parts. Every single bolt hole on the KLZE is the same as a KLDE is the same as a K8. Timing crap, cams, head bolts ...... ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL swappable.
thank you. thats exacly what i needed to know

hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

in that case why get a k8, get a kfze they are all over the net being passed as kldes :/ i mean yeah you are doing it as a mock up but its not realy anything different you are doing because at the end it will be exactly as a gs ... even if you drop a klze its not really anything different from what any of us have done...
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
protegetuner

Post by protegetuner »

hgallegos915 wrote:in that case why get a k8, get a kfze they are all over the net being passed as kldes :/ i mean yeah you are doing it as a mock up but its not realy anything different you are doing because at the end it will be exactly as a gs ... even if you drop a klze its not really anything different from what any of us have done...
i saw the kfze. is it the same setup as the k8.only its rated 170hp. if thats the case i will drop that in instead and be happy untill i can upgrade. will the millinium intake mani and heads fit on that.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”