whats your guys gas mileage?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I pulled a 510km tank comming home from Ottawa yesterday, Esso's 91 Octane. Normally I use Sonoco but I was getting low and stopped at a service station off hwy401
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
snellgrove

Post by snellgrove »

lately I have been getting about 26/27mpg ...doesnt matter where, town of A-road or whatever

but I have been DRIVING it, if you see what I mean ;) ... driving it... properly that is :twisted:

oh dont they sound wonderful at 7000 lol

its a 1997, V6 1.8
1997, Silver, V6
Thunderstorm

Post by Thunderstorm »

Ditto here too!

Doing city driving over 90% of the time, getting a not inconsiderate 27MPG regularly.
Acceptable, especially when this is with spirited "Zoom, Zoom, Zoom" driving where possible.
What with all the Big Brother speed cameras leering at us in London UK, sometimes it's impossible to really enjoy the performance of my car! :evil:

My pride and joy is a 1998 RS MX-3 :D
1998 MX-3 RS 1.6i DOHC "Blackbird". Totally Stock.

The 21st Century is a con; where is my Hovercar?!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2058708
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

V8KOMX3 wrote:I get around 230 to 240 miles to a tank :?
wow that's really bad, i'm in the process of checking the gas mileage on my BPT since I swapped it last week and i've got 100 miles and still have 3/4 of a tank left. most of it was highway but i still punch it every now and then just because it's fun.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
Thunderstorm

Post by Thunderstorm »

V8KOMX3 wrote:I get around 230 to 240 miles to a tank :?
Hi V8KOMX3

I don't know what model of MX-3 you have (and what year) but if you have an RS and do regular city driving this seems quite reasonable.

My 1998 RS in real life everyday driving has given me this mileage "per Tank" too! Per tank in this case meaning when the needle gets real low, on or below the last graduation mark and possibly your fuel warning light has come on.

This does not mean your tank is empty! You probably have about a gallon or approx 7 - 12 litres still sloshing around in there. Maybe even more depending on how accurate your fuel gauge is!

You realistically never drive the car till it splutters to a halt, so "Per Tankful" doesnt really mean the whole 50 litres.

In my case it is approximately 40 Litres per fill up.
40 Litres at 240 Miles per fill up equals a true 6 Miles per litre.
For real life driving, not some unrealistic "Fuel Road Test" this is probably OK. If anybody is absolutely certain that this is not right, don't flame me, but do put us right by all means.

What I have mentioned above is based on my on-going experiments and data recording on the fuel usage of my MX-3 RS - not myth.
1998 MX-3 RS 1.6i DOHC "Blackbird". Totally Stock.

The 21st Century is a con; where is my Hovercar?!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2058708
Kuromu

Post by Kuromu »

I have a 93' RS that is mid-BP swap. When it had the 1.6 SOHC ATX, I was getting about 25mpg city and 30mpg highway.

Once I get the BP 1.8 DOHC and MTX installed, I am sure it will change a little.
93 MX3 RS BP 2.0 // 87 RX7 HKS Turbo
mx3dude
Supporting Member

What the heck?

Post by mx3dude »

I'm not sure what the hell is going on here, but I'm averaging about 340 miles to the tank, which is approximately 33mpg. I have a 95' Mx-3 RS, no mods, and the driving was gentle for about 98% of the time. I try not to get on my car at all. Now, the part I am confused on is why the EPA estimates for our 1.6L DOHC is 29/37 and no one gets anywhere near that. With a 13.2 gallon tank, we should be seeing at most 488.4 miles to the tank if we were to drive it dry. What's the deal? I thought my car was getting low mileage.
95' MX-3 RS, front and rear stabilizer bars, B&M short shifter, homemade ground kit, all power options just installed, passport 8500 X50 radar detector (+15HP, -8mpg, +20mi/hr top end on the highway)
rayrrod

Post by rayrrod »

I bought a "gas meter" at the local flea market. I knew what it was when i saw it. Paid 2 bucks for it. My mechanic installed it for free.
it is a vacuum gauge from JC Whitney
i use it when i drive, exp on my fun drives. best mileage has been about 36 mpg.
mx-3 95 RS Stick
dont do much city driving to figure out mileage in city.
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Re: What the heck?

Post by mr1in6billion »

mx3dude wrote:Now, the part I am confused on is why the EPA estimates for our 1.6L DOHC is 29/37 and no one gets anywhere near that.
Mileage is always far overstated. My van is supposed to get 15mpg city and 17hwy. I'm luck if I get 10mpg doing 50/50 city/highway.
With a 13.2 gallon tank, we should be seeing at most 488.4 miles to the tank if we were to drive it dry.
Those last two gallons are inexcessable since you start to lose compression in your tank... or something like that. I've never been able to squeeze more than 10.6 or so gallons out of the mx before it started to act up.
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

i get 400-420km per tanks on a 93 gs with 223,000km. i think its bad milage?
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present
Meanie

Post by Meanie »

neutral wrote:95 RS MTX. Avg. 31-32mpg mixed driving and 34-36hwy.
I'm similar. I mix city/hwy driving and average about 33 to 34 MPG (last fillup was 34), while all hwy, at last check, was close to 40.

I find it almost shocking how this car being over 10 years old, still has better gas mileage than over 98% of new vehicles made today. Even in this crunch requiring more fuel efficient vehicles due to the increasing gas cost. And on top of that, there are hybrid vehicles which don't even reach that gas mileage. Incredible.

I love my car.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

after my kf swap i have been getting around 240 - 220 miles a tank. Around 22 mpg however I have the fuel pressure regulator purge solenoid missing and also the IAC unit messed up.. it connected but i get funky idle. I floor it all the way over 7 and have headers and itake..i got a small leak in my rear headerm which all wouold contribute to poor mileage i believe. However I love driving the car who cares about gas milleage.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”