Exterior 'park lights' will not turn off

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
meee61

Exterior 'park lights' will not turn off

Post by meee61 »

My exterior park lights and interior dash/accessory lights will not turn off until I turn off the car completly. They turn on as soon as I start the car or turn the key to accessory. If I turn the light switch to turn on the 'park lights' and the interior/accessory lights, the lights become a bit brighter but there seems to be no way to shut them off. Just started acting up the past few weeks.

Is the switch done for??? Has anyone else had this problem?
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

you may have a wire thats stripped under the dash thats compleating the path and apon engaging the switch you could in fact be overloading the system it's something i suguess getting look at i shortted out the dimmer switch and the parking light portion of the consol switch and i had to rewire in a switch and new lights for my dash
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
meee61

Post by meee61 »

On your suggestion I took a look at all the wiring and discovered that the new deck my freind had put in for me a few weeks ago was wired wrong. I could actually turn on the deck by turing on the park lights without the keys in the accessory position or for that matter in the car. Actually would have left it that way if the lights did not come on all the time. I just finished rewiring and it works fine now.
freakyalien

Post by freakyalien »

That exact thing happened to me in my old Honda...I knew it was the wiring behind the deck, but I never figured out what wires it was...do you know?
Vroooom
meee61

Post by meee61 »

In my case the orange wire (illumination/dimmer) had been wired into the red wire (12 Volt Ignition) on the wire harness side. Both of these wires were wired into the red wire (12 Volt Ignotion) coming from the deck. Everything should be color coded. Look for a connection where the colors do not line up or where you have multiple connections going into one wire.

The wire harness coming from my deck did not have an orange wire (illumination/dimmer) so I had to add a wire to the harness, and then wire it back up. Get the model number of your deck and check online, you should be able to find a wiring guide for your deck.

Something that looks like

Yellow = 12 Volt Battery / Constant (12V+)
Red = 12 Volt Ignition / Switched (12V+)

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”