Mystery Sensor

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
stepchyld

Mystery Sensor

Post by stepchyld »

I'm having difficulties on my MX6, since it has the same setup as my MX3 GS, I've been flipping through the Online Shop Manual. I'm suspecting the Thermosensor may be causing my engine to run rich.
Here's my little problem: on the water neck on the left side of the engine there are three sensors. One has one wire (temperature sending unit for the dash display) and two 2-wire sensors. One of them is in front of the single wire sensor while the other is on the other side of the fill cap (in front of it).
I think the one by the single-wire sensor is the thermosensor, which page F2-152 states is gray, but neither of them are (one is black and one is green), but what is this other one?
93 GS, ATX to MTX swap, chrome 16x7, upper strut bars, SRD LCA bushings.
Upcoming improvements: Tokico/Eibach struts/springs, energy suspension LCA bushings
94 RS MTX, Engine swap completed, ALIVE Again!
95 RS ATX, parts car/project X
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

green one is fan temp sensor, i believe black one is coolant temp sensor and the really small one is teh cylinder head temp sensor... i think o.0 lol i do know the greenone makes the fan come off when unplugged and its called coolant temp sensor
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

2 Thermosensors (one Black and one Green), you are correct. The green, IIRC is as you stated as the Thermosensor (EGI), and deals with fuel mixture process. The other (Black) sensor is the Thermosensor (Fan) and is used partially for EGI in that regard but is utilized for the triggering of the condensor fan when A/C is operating. I believe you'll find that info around page F2-139. Hope this helps a bit.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
stepchyld

Post by stepchyld »

Thanks for the info! Still trying to puzzle this out...though I suspect the sensors may be fine. Well, the black one may not be, but if it just controls the fan, it's not the problem.
93 GS, ATX to MTX swap, chrome 16x7, upper strut bars, SRD LCA bushings.
Upcoming improvements: Tokico/Eibach struts/springs, energy suspension LCA bushings
94 RS MTX, Engine swap completed, ALIVE Again!
95 RS ATX, parts car/project X

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”